1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need to download the latest version of Camera RAW?

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Rupert49, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

When I process my pictures in ACR it says that the version of camera RAW I'm using is v.9

I've checked on the internet and I see that the current version, introduced in April 2020, is v.12.2 1

My pictures look OK to me when I've edited them through ACR and PSE 13, so is there any point in 'upgrading' or downloading/installing the latest version of ACR?

Is the ACR application something that's embedded in Photoshop or is it part of the software in my cameras?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don’t know how old version 9 is. I tend to only use Lightroom with the photography plan as I find photoshop intimidating. Most of the time the ACR updates are to accommodate new cameras. The “big” changes in the last few years have been the clarity, dehaze and texture sliders and an enhanced detail option that came up in a recent thread. They also added (I didn’t check if this is in ACR with photoshop) lots of preconfigured profiles. In case v 9 is truly ancient I don’t know if they have changed how ACR works with older photoshop versions.

Edit: PSE 13 is quite new I thought. I’m surprised it doesn't auto-update ACR itself.