1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMC-FZ38 - Zoom Control Problem ??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Roger200, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Roger200

Roger200 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have just bought a new Lumix DMC-FZ38. Whilst I can zoom in OK with the Zoom Lever, I cannot zoom back out. The lens barrel will only retract when I switch off. This therefore appears to be faulty camera...??
    Or am I doing something wrong here ??

Can anyone please throw any light on this apparent problem before I return to the shop ?
    Thanks

2. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

The zooming is probably done internally, so you may not see the lens barrel move; this happens with lots of digital compacts, unlike the old film cameras.

Test - when looking through the viewfinder, or at the LCD screen, can you see the picture zooming?

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Sounds like an issue with the zoom control switch. Take it back I'd say.

4. Roger200

Roger200 New Member

Dear Roy,
    Many thanks. The lens barrel very visibly moves out to zoom in and when looking through the viewfinder or at the LCD screen, you can you see the picture zooming in. The trouble is it will not retract to zoom out unless I switch the camera off !

Thanks again

5. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Take it back, must be faulty

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Most of the cameras of this type work the same way. You toggle the zoom control on the shutter button one way it zoom in. You toggle the opposition it zoom out.

Now on this camera if you go into playback mode. The same control is suppose to allow you to zoom into a image post shot. And of cause zoom out. If that does not work as well I'd say the micro switch controling zoom signals is faulty. Therefore return ASAP for a replacement.

You notice four symbol indicating these functions next to the control.

W with a T then below a chess board and a eyeglass.

The chess board indicates zoom out and browse mode. The eyeglass indicates of cause zoom in.

Not a good show from Panasonic.

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

but if this is the only camera which is faulty out of so many how is it a bad show....if it was a common fault on all models then I might agree with you

8. P_Stoddart

Working on the basis that every camera should be tested by some QC system before even being packed up. The packaging being designed to withstand expected journey and handling by couriers etc.

Now if this camera has failed after that it would suggest a QC problem in manufacturing. Given that all electronic product carry by law I believe a one year warranty.

I of cause assuming that the shop who sold the item just took one from their stock pallet. Not open it up and played. It's possibly can be good practice to test the camera while still in the shop? I used to do this especially when buying secondhand stuff.

No company in this field wants failures to reach customers. It is bad for their standing and it is costly. What happens to this faulty camera? Repair? Recycled? Landfill? This fault maybe a impossible repair. That's alot of technology to chuck out.

I have owned a couple of Panasonics and find them very good build wise etc.

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Unless you are someone like Alpa or Linhoff and making very small numbers of more or less bespoke cameras this will not happen. When a manufacturer is making thousands or even millions of units such time consuming expense is not feasible - the customer would not pay for it. Panasonic, in common with the vast majority of manufacturers, will be using statistical process control methodology and testing cameras on a statistically determined frequncy schedule - as will their suppliers. While this will not absolutely eliminate the possibility of faulty product it has, over the years, resulted in products with very high reliability at very reasonable prices...

In an ideal world nothing would ever be faulty... But then in an ideal world we'd also be able to afford this... ;)

10. P_Stoddart

I did base my opinion on watching a tv programme a couple of years back showing manufacturing technique in the far east. You saw 1000s of workers testing every unit before shipping. They would have test rig to check all the functions. Maybe things have changed since. I would expect the cost of testing is added into the price. Lets say they spend 5 minutes on testing every camera at the rate of pay in some far east countries it would be a few cents or pennies depending on the currency. Even at UK wages of say £35,000 it would only add approx £2 per unit. In this kind of product sector £2 is not going to force a customer to buy a different brand. Functionality is the main concern then build and how reliable it performs. IMHO.