1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY filmer holder for Coolscan

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by taxor, Jan 15, 2016.

1. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

I don't suppose there's going to be much interest in this but, if you're appalled (as I am) by the price of a Nikon FH-3 film holder for the Coolscan, then I can show you how to make a DIY version. It lacks a lot of the functionality of the FH-3 but it will allow you to scan negs that the Coolscan rejects. If you've got a lot of unsuitable strip negs then you'd probably be better off stumping up the ridiculous minimum of £80 for the proper Nikon item because my little gizmo is a light-duty item intended for those who encounter the occasional wonky bit of film-strip. The main thing is it works perfectly and requires nothing more than a slide mount, some old credit card plastic and superglue.

2. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Good to see Blue Peter is alive and kicking. Spare part it's where the money is. I have a canon flatbed scanner bought in Cash cons for £11 didn't have the film carrier . Did a check on the Canon site and £30 or there abouts was the cost of a replacement. Not a lot didn't go for it and the scanner won't work on my W10 PC so no great losses.

Good to see you're willing to share your DIY skills.

3. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

:) Thanks Frank

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Useful info.

I bought a Coolscan LS50 V ED a few months ago, and soon discovered that whilst it's good quality, it only came with a single slide holder. And, I'm definitely into a bit of DIY engineering, where necessary.

5. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Hi Malcolm. If you can, you should really get the SA-21 automatic strip-film adaptor. This came supplied with the V ED when new. I've seen a few going quite cheap on crapBay. The problem with the SA-21 is that it will sometimes reject strip film if it's too badly curled or if the perforations are cut across. Sometimes it rejects them because of the phase of the moon. In any case the FH-3 (a sort of manual strip film adaptor) reputedly overcomes this problem. I've not, as yet, found a used example at a sensible price given that it's only a flimsy bit of plastic and thin metal. The cheapest new one I found was £85!! That's why I made my own. I tend to over-think and over-engineer anything I make even if it is from scraps of old credit card and slide mounts and I'm absolutely positively sure you could knock up a more simplified design. It's basically a GePe slide mount with the ends cut off and two bits of credit card - one short, one long (the long piece supports any portion of the film strip protruding from the slide mount into the guts of the scanner and the short piece provides a means of removing the adaptor from the scanner without touching the film). I can, if you want, supply a diagram or a photograph of the finished item, but I found it very easy to make. Regards, Niels Rasmussen

6. tony654

tony654 New Member

Good moorning. Can you share a diagram or photography of your homemade filmholder? I recently bought a Coolscan IV, but my negatives are too curled and I would like to build it. Thank you so much.

7. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Dear Tony, I've only just seen this post, many apologies. If you want, I can still send you a photo of my DIY holder and rudimentary instructions. I'm reckoning you've probably got it sussed by now anyway. Regards, Niels R.

8. tony654

tony654 New Member

Dear Niels, Thank you for your kind answer. I'm still looking for an instructive or another visual idea to do the single scans, but without success (I would not like to damage my coolscan) So if you want to share your idea, it will be helpful and great for me. Thank you again.

9. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

I know what you mean about damaging your scanner but my little gizmo inserts into the slide adaptor not the Strip neg adapter. It's a simple push in/out action that makes no contact with any of the scanner innards. Give me a little while and I'll rustle up sorm sort of schematic for ya!

10. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Hi Tony, I've cobbled together a visual guide to making the neg holder. Can I PM to you? I'd rather not post it in the forum. Regards, Niels R.

11. tony654

tony654 New Member

Dear Niels, thank you so much. A PM is perfect for me, and I hope so I can help to you, as good as you does it, in another time. Sorry my bad english (google translator), and greetings from Peru.

12. bth35mm

bth35mm New Member

hi, i am far away and i was searching for the diy neg holder! can you i pm you? i own ls40ed without the adapter, recently i bough a spoil ls3000 with ma-20 adapter and there is no fh-3 holder, then i search for another option, i just bough sa-20 film feeder just to realize that it's not work on ls40ed! so i think i will stick with ma-20 and diy film holder, so please let me know the diagram. well i thought about making one too before i bought the sa-20, but when i saw the price for sa-20 around 15USD i went to it.
    well i am from Indonesia -_-

13. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Here you go.
    Part 1_01.JPG Part 2_01.JPG Part 3_01.JPG

14. bth35mm

bth35mm New Member

well, i don't have any slide holder :(( i think i will stick with sa-20 and do some modification with it's compatible setting. perhaps i will use only the motor to roll the film feeder and do manual scan. i will updated this thread soon after i receive my sa-20. oh and btw, i got the sa-20 for only 15USD can you imagine that? far cheaper than fh-3/2 itself -_-