1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Disused industrial sites

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by jeffA, Dec 17, 2007.

1. jeffA

jeffA Well-Known Member

I was passed these details from another forum
    www.28DAYSLATER.CO.UK the site is used by a group called Urban Explorers who are a group who gain access to disused sites(sometimes without permission).Contains some interesting pics.
    Jeff

2. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Have actually seen this before, there was a tog on here some time ago that used to do this. Personally I'd like to stay on the right side of the law, but that doesn't mean I condemn these people, and some of the photos are fascinating.

3. chris000

chris000 Well-Known Member

... but perhaps you should. There is yet another news item on this site today about a photographer's legitimate activities attracting the unwarranted attention of the Police - so in the current climate of paranoia, we need these people like the proverbial hole in the head.

<u>IF</u> they have permission then fine, if not then <u>I</u> certainly do condemn them.

4. mertonia

mertonia Well-Known Member

Love the site - some great stuff pics

peter

5. MPB

MPB Well-Known Member

If they have permission from the owners to enter the sites legitimately then all well and good, if they go on with out permission then they give the rest of us a bad name.

6. LensFlare

LensFlare New Member

Pretty interesting set of forums here, unfortunately my reasons for signing up were mainly to defend my hobby.

Care to elaborate on your theory that says this is our fault? I am fairly certain that the story you're talking about relates to the Anti-Terror legislation - which has NOTHING to do with us, at all.

We're like you when it comes to this legislation - its another group of people entirely, but its still a hinderance to us.

The fact is, The "current climate of paranoia" is aimed at terrorism. I'm quite curious as to how you have managed to draw a parrallel between Urban Exploration and terrorism? I seriously doubt MI5 and the government have "People browsing abandoned sites and taking photographs..." as the top of their agenda when they are writing their new laws. I think they might be a bit more caught up with terrorists. [Which of course, could use photographic equipment for recce purposes]

Sorry, but I think you're talking rubbish.

We are only linked by the fact we use cameras - As a fact, alot of people who partake in the hobby of Urban Exploration don't do this for photography. Photography is merely a secondary objective to a lot/most explorers.

You're statement is similar to 28DL being posted on a car forum, and just because a few of them happen to be car enthusaists, they say that 28DL gives them a bad name. Its complete and utter crap - and laughable at best.

Here are a few facts you guys should consider:
    * The Health and Safety Executive said this is not something we get involved in. We only deal with places of work.
    * Kent Police said it's not a criminal offence.
    * The Environment Agency said it's not something they would get involved in.
    * Kent Fire Brigade said it would only concern them if fires were being started.
    * The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings say that you have to commend these people.
    * Save Britain's Heritage says that it has had a few of its sites visited by these groups and they have provided them with great pictures via their websites.

That last point in particular should make you think. We live in a society where the past is being ripped from us, the buildings that exist today and of the yester-year - may not exist tomorrow. Without efforts such as the ones these guys go through - these places would be forgotten. Wether the buildings are modern or victorian, above-ground or under, listed or not... Don't you agree that they should be documented in some way?

*[Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/southeast/series9/week_seven.shtml ]

7. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

No but it is a civil offence. Youre still seen in the same league as squatters or other trespassers. Im not arguing for or against it but I think some of those lines are deliberately skewing the case. By definition 'they' "go where they're not supposed to go" (your words).

Edit: Why the hell should The Health and Safety Executive/The Environment Agency/the Fire Brigade be interested? :D Its totally irrelevant, just skewing the facts.

8. LensFlare

LensFlare New Member

Yes, So aslong as we leave when the land-owner and/or security requests - we should be alright.

The chances of a land-owner persuing a trespass case would be minimal - especially considering we're mainly talking about abandoned buildings here.

Also, Where are those my words? I can't remember using them - and I've skimmed my post and can't find them. Admittedly, they're pretty accurate. Although I don't like the idea of someone putting words in my mouth.

1)Health and Safety Executive may have problems with people straying into sites without the correct safety equipment.
    2)The Environment Agency may have issues with those who partake in the exploration of Culverts, Underground Rivers, Drains and Sewers.
    3)The Fire Brigade would most likely be part of any rescue operation should someone get themselves trapped underground or up somewhere in-accessable.

I was mainly pointing out what Kent Police said in response, along with "Save Britains Heritage" - although the other organisations all have valid opinions.

9. FATBOYJARV

FATBOYJARV Member

I have been and viewed this site and what I have read is mad, in a good way they give you a history report on the site and what it has been used for in the past, and then there is some great photography on there. Yes it may not be right in what they do, but it is there risk not ours. How about if there are any of them on here post some of there great photos? and we talk about the photo and not the way it was got.