1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Discounts ???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I use Honey, and have saved a few quid with it. I have searched for discounts for items I've wanted or needed, but would rather pay a bit less for. But then i prefer to buy my camera kit generally from LCE, even if they're not the cheapest, because i like them and their business model (although to be fair, they're generally competitive, and have been known to ask me how much I want to pay for an item). I prefer to buy from small local shops where I can rather than nationals or multinationals, even if that means a little more. And over lockdown, availability and delivery were the key factors in almost any purchase.

neilt3 likes this.
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Neither had I but Google reveals:
    Honey Science Corp., headquartered in Los Angeles, California, operates a browser extension that aggregates and automatically applies online coupons on eCommerce websites. It is a subsidiary of PayPal. Honey's revenue comes from a commission made on user transactions with partnering retailers.
    So now we know.

neilt3 likes this.
  3. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I had Honey on my computer once, but luckily I changed screens before the wife saw it! :D

4. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I quite often go to my local LCE in town to get stuff .
    I take unwanted used gear with me to trade in so I quite often walk away with "new" gear without money changing hands .
    That's better than a discount !
    They've a lens in now I spotted last night so I'll phone them up when their open next to hold it for me .
    I've some lenses that are surplus to requirements to trade with .
    Saves arseing about on eBay selling them .

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Batteries are one of those things that drive me mad price-wise. They seem to be on offer a lot...until I need some. My local Tesco has had a threefer for quite soem time now. I went in this week because I needed triple As for my transceiver set. No Threefer in sight. Next time I go to Costco I'll do a price comparison and possibly a big stock up!

6. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

We are about to buy a new fridge and I know the local retailer will be more expensive but the fact he will deliver it install it plus takeaway the old one far out ways any discount. Old fashioned service will cost me more or will it? To dispose of the old fridge the council will charge I am led to believe £35.00 and to get someone to help Heather get the fridge out and new one in would cost a couple of beers or a bottle of wine. No discount code for any of that.:(
    Don

7. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I was going to mention Costco for batteries :) or eBay but you need to find the deals where sometimes buy 12 AAs and get a 12 pack free!

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I buy the big packets of the Kirkland AA and AAA’s from Costco. They seem ok.

Geren likes this.
  9. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

For non-rechargeables, try Poundland if they have a store near you.... but make sure to buy alkaline as the bigger packs tend to be the old-style zinc or whatever. Usually the alkaline AA and AAA are branded Sony or Kodak..... a lot cheaper than Tesco's own-brand or Duracell. I've also used Wilko/Wilkinson's own-branded batteries a couple of times and they seem OK too

Geren likes this.
  10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I wouldn't touch the Kodak alkalines with a bargepole personally, Chinese product on the licensed Kodak name. Lidl sell eight packs of AA & AAA for £1.99, manufactured in Germany, probably the same as Varta, or B&M Bargains sell Panasonic at the same price (made in Belgium). A local electronics component retailer sells packs of ten Duracell Procell for £2.50. Standard Duracell whilst decent batteries are overpriced imho, the advertising is misleading as well.

Geren likes this.
  11. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of Lidl's beers.. And well a lot of their stuff, never used them before last May when they opened a branch on Tottenham Court Road so I popped in to have a look and compared to the local Co-Op I can't believe the price difference. Today, I went and got some beers, a huge block of extra mature cheddar, a couple of snacks, new potatoes and mushrooms and the whole lot came to just over £8 (it was quite a few beers) same would have cost about $8 more in the Co-Op

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Lidl do not sell poor quality food in my experience, their business model is similar to that of ALDI, who also sell decent stuff at prices mainly below the major supermarkets, but then you already know that!

13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Yep, decent beer and all manner of random continental foodstuffs. If they were closer I'd use them a lot more!

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Everything I buy has an environmental cost and there isn't a discount code for that. :(

15. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

So eat less baked beans ! ;)

Learning likes this.
  16. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

If I were wealthy I would not bother with discounts or best prices.
    I would look for service and convenience.
    If I was poor I would search for as long as it took to get the best bargain.
    As it is, I am careful how I spend. With a balance between time spent searching and convenience.
    I aim to buy good quality at a fair price.

However it is astonishing the wide range of prices that the identical object or service can be sold for.
    Both ends of the scale are often hard to reconcile. I will only go for the lowest price if I am certain the product, condition and terms are identical.

17. LesleySM

Not at all, some of their stuff is better than branded. For example I am rather partial to Twix but Lidl's sell something called a caramel and chocolate bar, 5 packs with 2 each in currently 79p that is better than Twix and their other chocolate is better than most

And even when it isn't quite as good....well one of my favourite snacks is Brie on cream crackers, Co-Op does LePresident brie for £2.65 and Jacobs cream crackers for £1.50. Lidl Brie and cream crackers are almost as good but the Brie is 79p and the cream crackers 39p for the same size so suddenly my occasional expensive treat is just something in the fridge!

When I started using them in mid May just out of idle curiosity every time I used them I worked out much the same would have cost in the Co-Op then deducted what I actually spent and added it all up...I have saved £419 since mid May

ascu75 likes this.
  18. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

That reminds me I have some white chocolate Twix in the cupboard.........

ascu75 likes this.
  19. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I currently shop for my immediate neighbours, a mix of Morrisons and Lidl usually, he is partial to small bottles of wine, £1.85 in Lidl, £2+ in Morrisons, but if you buy three they are discounted to £5, so a wider choice and actually lower price from Morrisons, so long as you use the multi-buy. Generally though Lidl are lower for most items and good quality.

20. LesleySM

I am on my way! White chocolate Twix!!!!! Nectar!!!!

Derek W likes this.