1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Discounts ???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Am I alone, I do know that most people don't bother but my son and I (in fact my son gets really annoyed if I don't) search for discounts.

First he makes sure "Honey" is on my PC, and so far it has saved me about £60 this year in normally missed discounts.

Also every time I buy anything before checkout I ALWAYS search, and here is an example, I have just placed an order for 120 film with Analogue Wonderland (use them anyway) and searched Analogue Wonderland discount codes.

Saved me £4, 10%

ascu75 likes this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I don't search for discounts, but for best price. I take discounts if I spot them on something I was going to buy anyway. Makes sense.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Same here though I’d say good price rather than best price because I prefer to support businesses which operate shops. But I am a very continent consumer. The impression I get is that Stephen buys more in a week than I do in a year (or five).

ascu75 and EightBitTony like this.
  4. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I generally search for the item elsewhere to find the most competitive price, but I’d consider paying more if the company has good feedback and a well constructed ad. I’m more confident in making a purchase if the seller understands his/the product he’s/she is trying to sell.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I search for best brice first but then won't always buy it from that place, certainly if it's an expensive product as I want to be happy with the company. I don't think I've ever searched for discount. If i'm given one great, but not purposefully looked.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

A regular buyer?

7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I am not a great pursuer of discounts - except for Lidl's beer offers. I just fill my trolley with cases and sod the rest of the shopping! In the summer the discounts are pretty frequent as a way to folks into the shop, I presume, so this time of year I like to stock up for the coming months, and hope for another discount before Christmas. I only have space for eight 'flats' underneath the stairs.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

We'll sometimes look for discount codes, especially if for a larger purchase - if I remember correctly we had a really good discount on the bike shed from a code which took seconds to search for. If it's pennies off trivial items we won't bother.

We are also unusual (I presume) in that we don't always complete multibuy offers - if it's something we don't need much of we will buy the one we need and ignore the option to get double the amount for a bit more if it's only going to go to waste anyway.

ascu75 and dream_police like this.
  9. Stephen Rundle

Amazing, what is the difference between best price, competitive price and others

I said, clearly "Also every time I buy anything before checkout I ALWAYS search"

Does that stop you searching for the best ????? price as I do and then search for a discount coupon for THAT site, no.

10. dream_police

No it doesn't. Just because you do, doesn't mean that other people should. No one is saying YOU are wrong. You did ask our thoughts.

11. Stephen Rundle

I asked for thought NOT insults

How about "Just because she is in a wheel chair" or "Just because he/she is black"

THINK before posting dream police just what is acceptable to you IS NOT to society.

12. dream_police

WTF. There is no insult there.
    There's a case of pots and kettles here with you Jeremy.
    And where did the bit about wheelchairs etc come from? You asked opinions about searching for discounts and whether you were alone. I and others answered. You didn't like the non insulting answers, so as per usual you emptied your pram of your toys. No wonder you got binned from your other forums.

There really is no need to reply. I won't see it.

13. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I'm trying to fathom out how:

and
    has resulted in Stephen saying that Nige has insulted him. Nige hasn't referred in any way to people who are disabled or encounter discrimination.

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I don't make a habit of searching for discounts. I don't buy a lot these days so when I do I spend most of my time researching whether or not I'm going to get what I want/need from a product first (see earlier post about video lighting). Then I start thinking about price, but doing the earlier research usually gives me an idea of the likely cost so I have a figure in mind that I'm willing/able to pay. If I can find it a bit cheaper by going 'used' and from a reputable seller then all to the good and in fact that's my usual modus operandi. Once, moons and moons ago, we were in the market for a new stove and I had my heart set on a double oven with six gas burners. Believe it or not I found one on the Boots website for £100 less than the 'usual' shop for electrical/white goods that I hate so much. Not only that but I got Boots points on the purchase too and as the oven was of substantial price, Christmas was pretty much sorted for soaps/perfumes/makeup etc for teenage girls and aging aunts for two years running!

Stephen, I think you have misread Nigel's posting. There was no discernible insult there. You did start this thread with a comment about how most other people don't seem to look for discounts...and it would seem that nearly all responses that came supported your original position. I have a friend who spends what seems like forever searching for discounts and I often wonder if I should join in but for the most part, I'm restricted to buying only the necessities to get us from one pay cheque to the next and my idea of discounts is the yellow stickered food in Tesco. There's not much point me spending time an effort to save £60 over 8 months on things I can't afford to buy in the first place! I think all Nigel was trying to say was that if you get satisfaction from hunting for discounts - great. Not everyone else does. That's all.

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Ultimately, unless the retailer or service provider is seriously overcharging, someone will be subsidising the discount.

Geren likes this.
  16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

MODERATOR'S NOTE

Stephen, it seems very clear that your autism makes it extremely difficult for you to determine what is rude and insulting, and what is not. In this thread, only one person has been rude and insulting - you.
    We are trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you are progressively alienating members at an alarming rate, and that can only end in you being suspended from the forum.

So please do not accuse anyone else of being rude and insulting. If you think they are, report it, and we will take a look. If you make another unfounded allegation of this type on forum, you will be temporarily suspended.
    I require you to acknowledge that you have read and understood this message. If you have not replied by the end of Monday that you have indeed read and understood it, you will be permanently suspended from the forum.
    I greatly hope it does not come to this, as I think you are a very interesting poster, but you cannot keep behaving like this on forum.

Thank you.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Discounts are all very well, and I get some really good deals on a few things, but if I need something I'll pay the asking price. Some times it isn't about the price but service and seller's reputation.

neilt3 likes this.
  18. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Indeed - I often look for best price but I have suppliers I like that I will go to preferntially for some things not becuase I'll get a good price but because I like their service, their range or just the cut of their jib (eg a local horticultural nursery who are just that - their tea shop is in a garden summerhouse, and that's as close as they get to the big chain model of "nursery" - 95% of their business is plants, pots and compost). In fact I'm about to email them about something now!

neilt3 likes this.
  19. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing I'm one of the few who has never looked for a discount .
    Whenever I'm shopping online I look for what I want first , then search who sells it , and at what price .
    For photography equipment ( if I'm looking for new gear , very rare as I often buy used ) I look on cameraprice buster first .
    That has some discount codes stated on it .
    But I haven't gone searching .
    I then take it from there .
    Sometimes paying more than the lowest as I want to buy from a certain retailer who I've felt with in the past and gives good service .
    Often a firm who had a bricks and mortar shop as well as an online presence .
    Ie WEX , LCE , Jessops , Ffordes etc .

On searches on eBay I look at completed sales , but some items can be bought new for not much more .
    In fact I'm looking at a Sony 50mm f/1.8 e mount lens .
    The current new price from most shops is £165 .
    The average price on eBay new is £200 - £260 .
    One place is trying to get £400 !
    Used ones seem to be selling for £135 .
    May as well buy new .

I've no idea what "honey" is other than what comes in a jar made by bees , but I would put it on my computer !

20. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I am careful what I pay for items, I would not for example buy a pack of four Duracell AA cells for £3.99, when I can buy others that are very similar for a quarter of the price, I don't bother about a few pounds on a big ticket item, preferring to source for convenience, service or guarantee.