1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster!

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Fishboy, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I woke up this morning (which sounds like the start of a blues song...and that's really fitting) with the worst cold that anybody in the history of the world has ever had.

I'm currently working from home, so the cold wasn't particularly a problem. I just shoved rolled-up kitchen towel up each nostril and went to my office to get on with things. I sat down in front of my computer, opened up the requisite windows needed to start work and suddenly my screen went blank-ish. I say 'ish' because it was covered in vertical,multi-coloured lines.

I restarted the machine and...nothing. After several attempts (and lots of swearing) I managed to gather enough information to tell me that my SSD drive (that holds the Windows operating system) appears to be fried.

I'm posting this from my emergency back-up computer - the one that's just spent over three hours trying to load and install five years of updates...for many different pieces of software...all at once!

I'm all set up and able to work now - so that's good. On the bad side, this computer won't read my external back-up drive so I can't check that I've still got my pictures. I've ordered a USB hard drive reader so that I can grab stuff (hopefully) from the HDD in my trashed machine.

Despite having taken regular (automated) backups I can't say for sure that I've not lost the last five year's worth of pictures.

I've ordered a new PC which should be delivered either on Friday or next Monday - once I've got that I can start the process of trying to retrieve my pictures - I hope that my back-up process has been sufficient. Do me a favour, folks, and cross your fingers!

Cheers, Jeff

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

How awful. Both for your cold and your PC. I hope you are able to access the pictures once you've got a new machine. I saved all mine to an external usb plugged in drive and hope that if need be I can reload them. I wouldn't be devastated if it didn't work though. When I think of how few times I want to see any old stuff for proper work on. I tend to just download my Flickr pictures, though I'm noticing they are mightily compressed these days.

Fingers crossed for you!

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Fingers duly crossed. Good luck.

It reminds me that, although the data on my windows desktop (used for work not pics) is backed up, I haven't gotten around to making a system image of the HDD.

4. Fishboy

Thanks to you both.

I'm not too worried about this (my emergency back-up PC) machine's inability to read my external drive. It's several years old and is running Windows Vista (remember that?).

I'll just have to wait until my shiny new PC arrives and then the fun can start!

Cheers, Jeff

5. Catriona

Which Windows version is it these days. I'm still on win 7. I'll upgrade when I get a new PC.

6. Fishboy

We're up to Windows 10 at the moment. That's what my new computer's coming with.

The machine that died this morning was running 8.1 - so I can understand that Vista had no compatibility with a piece of software that was released in its future, and I'm hoping that Win 10 won't have any issues with something from its fairly recent past!

Cheers, Jeff

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I had a HDD crash on my NAS, in 2016. I lost a load of photos. I took it to a recovery company who managed to get replacement parts for it to get it going in order to get all the data from it, however it didn't work. To use a technical term it was fecked. The guy had actually written an article on my particular brand of HDD and it was prone to the fault that mine developed. I was gutted. A lot of the recent ones of Hannah were lost which was particularly upsetting. My NAS now has 2 HDD's which are recorded onto simultaneously, so hopefully will be OK in the future.

Edit. i notice the forum software has changed F u c ked to fecked!

Catriona likes this.
  8. Catriona

I hope you are OK.
    I'm still having problems loading via a card reader, any other than one single SD card! Goodness knows why other ones won't. I've formatted them in camera but they still won't load.

9. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Why did you get an new PC could you not just replace the SSD.

10. Fishboy

I'm sure that there are people who could have replaced the SSD without buying a new machine. I don't think I'm one of them though!

Cheers, Jeff

11. Fishboy

Update:

New PC arrived last Thursday. The new video adapter it turned out that I needed arrived last Friday.

I spent the weekend getting everything set up on the new machine and then crossed my fingers and plugged-in my external back-up drive.

It would seem that the back-ups worked perfectly from 2014 (I used to check that everything was backing-up correctly at first) but in September 2017 it stopped working...and I didn't notice!

Let this be a lesson to everybody - if something works perfectly for three years, don't automatically assume it'll keep doing so for the fourth year!

I've now got a hard drive caddy on order so that I can try to retrieve everything I've taken since September 2017 from my old HDD.

Cheers, Jeff

PS - January 2014 to September 2017 was a shade over 44,000 pictures! That's 1,333 per month on average. That's 1,222 36 exposure rolls of film - at roughly a fiver a roll that would have been £6,110 spent on film without processing, printing or scanning! Of course, if I had been using film I don't think I'd have pressed the shutter anywhere near as much!

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Is that all?

In about 2004, when prices were a bit lower, Patrick Lichfield said ""I haven't shot a roll of film for five years. I'm saving £80-90,000 a year." :eek:

;)

Mark101 likes this.