1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt when looking through the view finder

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by T3LF, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

I had dirt on the sensor of my A550. Took it to my local Devon Camera Centre shop and they charged £25. Had the camera back within 3 days as well.;)

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Oops! Join the Bench Club! :rolleyes:

3. Torquinian

Torquinian Member

There was a recent article in AP suggesting using a cooton bud and vodka with a drop of washing up liquid, [but don't drink the vodka afterwards]

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Actually in a later post there is the following "I used my hurricane blower and it has removed most of the black dots which i could see when looking through the view finder some stubborn ones are still there but most have gone. I have now realised there are about 4 sensor spots showing on pictures so i think it really does need a clean. I reckon i will take it to my local London camera exchange. What sort of price am i looking at to get it cleaned?"

Hence my comment.

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Sensor spots, I'm afraid, may be lots of things: hot pixels, cold pixels & dead pixels (unlikely or less likely) to name but three. None of the foregoing will helped by a sensor clean. :)

6. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

There is also the danger that the blower may have put the spots ON the sensor.......

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Unpleasant though the odour is to a non-smoker, it will disappear in time, so long as you don't keep the camera somewhere where there is no circulation of air. I don't think I would try the above method, you could end up with the mixture getting somewhere undesirable.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Do not try to clean the mirror or focussing screen. Irritating the marks might be but they do no harm. Unless they are huge 4 dust spots hardly seems worrying about in "normal" photography and are easily compensated for. Use f11 or wider and be prepared to correct clear blue skies.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I regularly use isopropyl alcohol and washing up liquid to clean the rubber parts of used cameras. It is applied with an old tooth brush. It is also very effective at removing dirt and grease. All that is required is some caution to prevent it getting into any joint or opening. I clean any used camera that comes into my possession, the metal/painted parts with a paper towel dampened with isopropyl alcohol and the rubber parts as stated, it does get removed with paper towelling very soon after application. It works for me.

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Me:D

A DSLR hanging round your neck with a heavy lens to keep the back of the camera pointing upwards makes a handy rolling tray too.;);)

11. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

LOL! Wouldn't apply to me I'm a disaster at rolling my own