1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt when looking through the view finder

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by T3LF, Apr 17, 2012.

1. T3LF

T3LF Member

Hi everyone,

I just bought a second hand Nikon D7000 and I have noticed when looking through the view finder there is a couple of black marks and dirt bits. If i use live view they cannot be seen (the marks are not present on any pictures taken). Im not sure the best way to remove them (im new to dslr's this is my second one my first one was only July last year + don’t have a clue what i would be touching inside the camera) is it best to take it to a shop and get it cleaned or have a go myself? Plus does anyone have any good ideas to remove cigarette smoke smell from the camera.

Thanks for reading

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Very tricky. It could be dirt on the mirror or the screen the image is projected on. It is possible dirt is somewhere else.

Cleaning either has to be done with great care. Try using a pen torch to look at the surface of the mirror with the lens off. A scratch could also appear as a dirt mark. DON'T touch the mirror as it is very fragile.

PS: As for the smoker smell can't help there. Sorry. :(

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It is most likely on the screen, if it is on the lower side the dust spots may clean with use of a rocket blower, do not physically touch the screen. With regard to the smell of smoke, it is a persistent and pervasive smell. It will however dissipate in time, helped by not leaving the camera in a closed environment. I lent a lens for a few months to a friend who is a smoker, it was quite pungent, but the smell did eventually go.

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Is the dirt showing up on images?

5. P_Stoddart

No the OP said that:

"(the marks are not present on any pictures taken)"

read like the OVF path has the dirt not the lens to sensor path because again live view is ok as well.

6. T3LF

T3LF Member

i used my hurricane blower and it has removed most of the black dots which i could see when looking through the view finder some stubborn ones are still there but most have gone. i have now relised there are about 4 sensor spots showing on pictures so i think it really does need a clean. I reckon i will take it to my local london camera exchange. What sort of price am i looking at to get it cleaned?

Thanks

7. P_Stoddart

I wonder if all this dirt is to do with it being used by a smoker? Could it be stray ash while changing lenses?

8. T3LF

T3LF Member

maybe the camera was also quite dusty when i got it aswell. I got the camera at a good price at least what i think is a good price £600 for body only boxed with all orginal accessories.

I think it all can be sorted by a good clean (well im hoping it will be bit nervous) :(

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

You could try rocket blowing the sensor. If you read the camera manual it will give instructions as to how to carry this out. Will probably be under cleaning mode.

10. LesleySM

Okay what's the OVF path?
    something to do with the viewfinder I guess?

(I was never any good at foreign languages so am learninf this one slowly)

11. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

OVF Path - Optical viewfinder path - viewfinder to prism to mirror to lens

12. IanJTurner

IanJTurner Well-Known Member

I have a similar problem with my Canon 550D, and a local camera repair shop has quoted £60 for a sensor, mirror and focus screen clean.

Unfortunately I believe the dirt in my camera is on the inside of the viewfinder (when looking through the viewfinder and moving the camera around, the spot is clearly not attached to the focus screen, as it moves independently of the focus point markers).

If this is the case, the shop recommends their full clean and service (£160), as cleaning the inside of the viewfinder is a much trickier proposition.

Can't afford that at the moment!

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I may be unusual in that I try to ignore marks in the viewfinder. Removing them can be more trouble that they are worth and removing one speck can lead to two more. Using a blower is the quickest and easiest means of removing general dust but anything between the focusing screen and the prism is going to require more effort. On some Nikons you can remove the focusing screen easily and that can be cleaned separately. I have washed the simple type in warm soapy water! (Don't try that with the type of focusing screen that has electronics embedded)

Dirt on the sensor is easily removed with the right tools, expect to pay around £25 for sensor swabs and fluid, but don't even try if you aren't confident in your ability to do a good job. Around £60 for a sensor, mirror and screen clean is probably about right. It took three attempts to get the sensor on my D3 clean and around 30 minutes of my time.

14. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

So far as the smell is concerned, activated charcoal may help if you can find it. Some shoe deodourisers use it - eg pouches filled with it. The advantage is it can be rinsed and reused endlessly.

I also understand that baking soda and vinegar can absorb smells if left in the vicinity, though you may find the vinegar more unpleasant!

It's probably better to just keep using it in the fresh air.

15. LesleySM

Unlikely- who'd change a lens with a cigarette in their hand? Or even nearby?

16. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

I'm a pipe smoker and occasional cigarette smoker, but I,ve never changed lenses nor taken a photograph whilst smoking!

I only smoke downstairs at home, and hardly ever when my camera gear is around. Maybe I'll ask a non-smoking friend to have a sniff ... :)

17. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Wipe the outside of the camera body with a tissue dampened with mouthwash. :)

18. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Advice good but OP said dirt was not on sensor.

19. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

Unless you really know what you are doing, do not attrmpt a DIY clean of the mirror or prism. Take it to somewhere like Calumet and get it done properly.

20. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

If for once you took the trouble to read the thread properly, you would have noticed that the poster stated that there were four marks showing on pictures.