1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dinosaur Disagreement

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by The Barbarian, Jan 16, 2020.

1. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Member

[​IMG]

sappymike12 likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Nice try. The lighting isn’t really in your favour. You wouldn’t get the coverage you need to bring the foreground up with a hand held flash. it would be quite hard to light. Good angle.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It's always a struggle in museums, one way or another. There are a number of distracting elements, in particular the man at the right hand side.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

The whole issue here is how to pull the bones forward from the very confusing background. I'm not even sure the focus is actually on the front edge of the Trex. Lighting with flash as said would help to give drama and separation and i think the slight angling is not ideal. I'd hold it square. You need the lower one really supine.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Use a selection brush to darken the background, or consider more radical transformations if you want to remove the dinosaurs from their museum context.

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I definitely think it needed the focus closer towards the front edge of the bigger dinosaur. Sharpest bit seems to be on the arches in the roofspace. Museums are tricky - even the ones that are happy to LET you photograph in them weren't really set up with photographers in mind - too many distracting elements all around, dodgy lighting and ...people! That the dinosaur's not going anywhere and it might have been possible to hang around and wait for a shot where nobody was lurking in the background.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Here's an example - I took this in the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art. Big windows and shutters behind, plenty of distractions. A few tweaks here and there, and the context is gone.

[​IMG]
    Vulcan
    by Zou san, on Flickr

EightBitTony likes this.