1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

DigitalRev

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Brianboru, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

It's time I praised Digitalrev too. In the last 3 weeks I've ordered two lenses from them. Significant savings on both too. L Canon lens including the Canon lens hood!

i ordered the L on Monday morning at 8am. It arrived TODAY at 1.30. Less than two days all the way from HK to Essex. Now that's what I call service. I'd be surprised if Amazon could better that.

And yes I have some bubble wrap for sale too :)

2. MikeNott

MikeNott New Member

Thinking about ordering a 1Dx. £1000 saving is probably worth the risk.

Am I correct in thinking that, as import duty and VAT are paid by DigitalRev, the body is "legitimate" in the eyes of HMC&E when I take it abroad? I recognise that it is a grey import as far as Canon is concerned, but it is not "smuggled"?

Grateful for your views.

Michael.

3. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

on DR site they say VAT is paid, thats all I need to see and I've spent a lot with DR over the last 2 yrs. My last purchase wasn't quite as much as a 1Dx - But i did buy a 5d Mkiii two months ago and saved a lot on UK prices and the camera from order to delivery was 3 days!

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

No VAT is paid by DR, as they are not the importer. A friend of mine purchased lenses totalling £500.
    The paperwork on the outside on the package, (the bit that UK customs see) stated the contents as a digital camera - value, £45.00! He didn't pay VAT because it slipped the customs net. The only reason. You pays your money and takes your chance, get caught though and it's Vat and import duty time!

5. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

If Customs and Excise do hold a delivery for VAT, Digital Rev is one of the few importers who, once you contact them, pay the charges to get the goods released.

6. Judley

Judley Member

I'm looking to purchase a camera body from DR, so I rang to enquire about this. They said that the price you see on their website includes any duty charges, & that's the price you pay.

7. southonline

Agree it happened last year with me at Spanish customs - I was contacted by them telling me import fees were due on the items so I contacted DR straight away, They then dealt directly with the Spanish customs and it was all sorted and delivered the next day with no fees to be paid by me

As it says on there website NO VAT/Import taxes to be paid so they can't afford to not stand by this with the amount of money involved and probably the 1000's of orders a month they process

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It also to me suggests that since most items manage to pass through without hindrance that large amounts of duty and tax are being evaded.

This is to the detriment of the government and ultimately citizens at large of the country in question. Since once these figures are added to the cost of the item to give a true cost the saving in many instances would be eliminated. So essentially most of these items are only cheaper due to tax evasion.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  9. southonline

YOU make your choices - I made mine