1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DigitalRev

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Brianboru, Jan 3, 2014.

1. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

agree and I've lost count the amount of times I've been through customs and never had my camera looked at

2. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

It's been a few years since I last travelled abroad, but I always took a copies of the receipts with me, which included my name and address, and that was good enough to prove ownership and purchase date. If you can't prove you had the camera when you left the country, they may hit you with import duties etc.

A database of serial numbers seems unlikely, as it would have to be updated every day - and they'd need to do this for laptops, smart phones etc. :)

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My understanding - a neigbour is a senior manager in HMR&C - is that they don't have their own database, but they do have access to manufacturer's databases - so they know.

4. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

With cameras, they can tell from the serial number series whether the camera was imported via an official UK distributor. They don't need a database of individual serial numbers. I believe (but may be wrong) that they only do this for camera bodies - not for lenses, etc.

When (for example) Nikon UK import and pay duty and VAT on a batch of cameras of a given model for distribution through authorised Nikon retailers, the serial numbers will be consecutive and are recorded on the import record.

It is the same data set that allow Nikon UK to know whether or not a camera body is covered by a European warranty when the buyer registers it with them.

5. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

I've just had my first experience with DigitalRev. Order was placed on Saturday, tracked order via DHL, left Hong Kong that same day, then to Leipzig and on to East Midlands. The longest time was spent for East Midland getting to the local hub. Anyway, goods arrived today after 2.5 days traveling. Just unpacked box and has a British plug, all looks good.

A pleasant shopping experience (so far). I will probably use them again. I guess the true test is if anything goes wrong, but I doubt it. A canon camera has never failed me ;) (hope I'm not tempting fate :eek:). It was a Canon S120 btw.

6. Pebbleheed

Pebbleheed New Member

Did you get charged by the courier for any import duty or taxes?

I've ordered a new camera and a couple of lenses from Digitalrev this week. The camera and one lens will be here tomorrow according to DHL and the second lens should be here Friday. That's quick considering I ordered them both on Monday.

I was was worried about charges from the courier, especially when I used an online calculator to work out my total charges would be around £200 not including courier's handling charge on top of what I've already paid to digitalrev.

I used their webchat to ask about this and they stated they've already paid the above charges on my order and should DHL ask me to pay anything extra I should contact them and they'll pay DHL on my behalf.

7. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

The price on their website is the price I paid. No extras upon delivery. Looking at the invoice they have paid the duty and taxes to some account number, so I assume that was accounted for in the price, but there is no breakdown of the costs.

8. southonline

a friend of mine in the UK bought a camera in November from DR and paid no additional taxes / fess and took it on holiday with him with no custom problems

9. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

Credit where it is due, I ordered a camera and lens on Monday and it has just been delivered. I saved over £100 too.....

10. southonline

another quality "Canon" purchase ;)..bet I know what you'll be doing this weekend

11. Donkey

Donkey Well-Known Member

There not doing themselves any favours when you look on their website under Terms of condition of sales they state
    "Any additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you, unless an Import Handling Charge is included in the price of the goods"
    I didn't find this clear enough to be comfortable in ordering from them but your experiances are proving they are a good source of equipment without getting stung this end like us brits are used to :(

Or did i completely miss what they were implying ? Probably :)

12. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

See my post #10 in this thread. I asked directly and received the following response:

Question:
    Response:

13. J H Foto

I ordered Monday and my items were delivered on Wednesday, now that is amazing when you think its come from Hong Kong. Oh and I saved well over £100.....

14. GlennT

GlennT Member

Ive read this thread with interest as I too am considering purchasing a camera from DigitalRev

When I spoke to DigitalRev they said that an item purchased from them comes with their own One Year Warranty, where any defective item was either returned to them to be rectified or fixed locally, in UK, which they then paid for.

In terms of a problem which occurred outside of the warranty period, where a repair would be at the owners cost, am I right in thinking that Cannon UK would repair it even if they considered it a grey import? After all there must be a fair number of electronic items, including cameras, that are purchased by UK based residents who have lived or worked overseas and purchased items whilst doing so. So, in my example, I cannot imagine how Cannon could determine a camera that had been purchased in these circumstances as opposed to an import direct from someone like DigtalRev?

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Canon certainly can tell if they themselves imported the camera of course. Aside from that if a repair is to be charged it is then a commercial matter, so they would presumably then deal with it on that basis, unless anybody knows otherwise.

16. J H Foto

Not only do you get I year warranty but if you go on line in my case to Nikon you can extend this to 2 years free....

17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Will Nikon UK extend the warranty on an item that was not brought in by themselves?

18. J H Foto

They have...............

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, but they probably won't hounour it if you need to call on it, and who would blame them?

20. J H Foto

I will let you know if I have to.....