1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DigitalRev

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Brianboru, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Brianboru

Brianboru New Member

Whilst looking for a new camera, I found the following online store based in Hong Kong:

http://www.digitalrev.com/shop

There prices seems amazingly cheap. Does anyone have any experiences within them? Is there a catch?

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Oh eck, here we go again. NIMBUS...where are you?

If you have a search on the forum there are a few threads about on this subject. It's a case of ya pays ya money and yer takes yer chance. It's all about import duty and warranties (or lack of them)

3. iLukieeBoy

iLukieeBoy Well-Known Member

I have never bought a camera from them, but I love their YouTube channel!

4. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

I have just made my first purchase from DR today; saving ~£360 on a lens, I'll update on the transaction soon.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I'm here:).

Digital Rev actually seem to be one of the exceptions to the rule in this case and do take responsibility for things they have sold. Genuine responses as to their customer service are in the main positive.

6. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I've bought from DigitalRev in the past, no problems (main reason they had stock whereas no one else did) - the site calculates vat and duty payments upfront so no nasty surprises from HMRC / couriers

7. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Lens arrived before noon today and all is well so far.

8. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

I've used them for all of my equipment and there service is very good, also returns as well as I had to return a faulty filter. I can order goods from them and it gets here faster than the UK.

9. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

At what stage during checkout do the courier handling charge and VAT appear? I just looked at a Tokina 116 lens, checkout just displays the web price. Their terms and conditions state that I would be responsible for the courier handling charge and VAT. VAT is straight forward, but what do DHL or UPS charge for collecting it?

10. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Steve,

The following is what I received from DigitalRev on another forum:
    When I received my lens today, there was no mention of any other charges. I think if may be different on their eBay site but I bought direct from the DR site.

11. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Don't DigitalRev hold quite a bit of stock of popular items in the UK for immediate despatch, as well as shipping from HK ?

12. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Not sure Chris, but I tracked my package from HK via Germany to the UK.

13. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Well, after reading this thread I'm seriously considering saving myself £60 on a £340 lens.

14. southonline

I don't think so as everything I've purchased has been dispatched from HK

15. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I have been watching the price on a lens I am considering for the Nikon 1 system, and I was surprised to see that Digital Rev are more expensive than several UK suppliers!

16. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Have bought a couple of Sony cameras and lens from them. As regards warranty, I don't think Sony Europe would honour the warranty (classed as a 'grey import'. However, they do have an international warranty suystem and a UK based phone number. If the camera/lens is taken to an authorised Sony dealer, DR will foot the bill. I did have some problem with them when the shutter broke on my A77, but it got sorted in the end.
    I cannot comment about warranty issues with other makes.

17. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

If you purchase from them you will be technically liable for both import duty and VAT on your purchases. This is not always collected and, if it is, it may be less than the 28% you could be hit with.

Twice in the past I bought cameras from DigitalRev under their old tax refund scheme where they guaranteed to refund any tax and duty that was charged on delivery. In both cases I did have to pay the courier (although lesser sums than I had anticipated) and, in both cases, DigitalRev refunded the money to my Paypal account within about 6 hours of me e-mailing them a scan of the courier's receipt.

But I don't think they offer that guarantee any more.

18. southonline

I've not had that problem - taxes were all paid

19. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

See DigitalRev's T&Cs:

"When ordering goods from DigitalRev Limited, overseas deliveries may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once the package reaches the specified destination. Any additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you, unless an Import Handling Charge is included in the price of the goods. Customs policies vary widely from country to country, so you should contact your local Customs officer for further information. Additionally, please note that when ordering from DigitalRev Limited, you are considered the sole importer of record and must comply with all laws and regulations of the country in which you are receiving the goods."

You may get away with it. But don't subsequently take the camera on an overseas holiday. If you get stopped for a random spot-check by HM Customs and they check the serial number of your camera on their computer, you will not only get hot for the 28% tax and duty, but possibly also a fine.

20. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Does HMRC maintain a database of serial numbers of ALL items imported to the UK? I doubt it very much; too large.