1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Digital or Film (the oldest, newest question in the book)

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by TMcG1959, Mar 13, 2019.

1. greyowl

greyowl Active Member

i used to use 35mm film regularly - just consumer films like superia - but i stopped about a year ago when our local asda stopped cheap next day c41 processing ( a pathetic reason to stop ). can't be bothered with sending it off by post and costed out c41 25c processing with the rollei kits - not attractive to me in terms of cost since i wouldn't be organised enough to get full utilisation of the chemicals.

I have taken and processed b+w recently but am not a fan of my monochrome photos - reminded me of the 60's when i couldn't afford to use colour film.

will probably continue to use film occasionally but have sold off all my old film cameras now except for the contax 139 that i have had for 20 years.

what has been a pleasant experience recently is using c/y and contax g lenses- mf on an a7. feels very much like film photography in some ways - rather than the phenomenal and idiot proof d500 that i use the rest of the time.

2. John Tarrant

John Tarrant Active Member

I slowly went digital at about the turn of the century: a mistake! Digital is far too complicated and an extension of the computer world! (Photoshop possibly excluded as it still relates to photography rather than numbers!). Anyway Ektachrome is back and plenty of monochrome films to choose from. My one regret is that I no longer have a darkroom, but I can process my negatives and a scanner and Photoshop are almost a suitable substitute. The Rolleiflex T is a brilliant photo making machine and I used one extensively when I was a jobbing photographer.

3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I use digital for colour (Canon 60d, and G12), and film for monochrome (a whole cupboard full of cameras).

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am not sure why a digital camera is more of an extension of the computer world than a scanner? A scanner is, essentially, a digital camera that captures an image one line at a time. A camera on the other hand captures the image and reads it one line at a time but cuts out the film, chemicals and negative stages. Obviously if you enjoy the film, chemical and negative processes I wouldn't want to stop you. Personally I wouldn't be able to afford to take photographs the way I do if I were still using film.

ChrisNewman and Petrochemist like this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...and ain't that the truth for most of us. :(