1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Film Back Bronica ETRSi??

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by jimmytheknife, May 22, 2006.

1. jimmytheknife

jimmytheknife Member

Is there such a thing as a digital film back?

I have a conventional 120 film back fitted to my ETRSi at the moment but I've been told digital ones are available.

Searching on Google I can find nothing..am i victim of a wind up?

cheers,

2. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

There are certainly third party manufacturers that make backs for a variety of MF cameras (some need an adapter plate) you'd have to check this out, PhaseOne and Leaf are two that spring to mind... so long as you don't mind remortaging the house!

3. jimmytheknife

jimmytheknife Member

cheers for that! so it wasnt a wind up.

I have checked out the websites and can see no mention of prices so far....always a bad sign.

Ill give my mortgage lender a ring..or maybe hire a JCB for a day :)

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Think in lots of thousands...

5. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

...like the price of a new car (or perhaps two, or even three if you go for a Kia Picanto!) :D

6. Mugshot

Mugshot Well-Known Member

I read a recent test report on the Mamiya 645 AF and as far as I recall the digital back was about £14,000, you have to make serious wages out of it to be able to justify that sort of cost, some are well over £20,000 I think digital M/F photography at the moment is for top line pros, large companys and organizations who can recoup the cost from their customers,so back to the drawing board Jimmy :)

7. jimmytheknife

jimmytheknife Member

Thanks for the advice everyone!

As most digital backs are for HB or Mamiya, an adapter kit is required to fit one to a Bronica...this kit alone costs between $900 and $1300 depending on requirements:

http://www.kapturegroup.com/bronica/bronica.html

Then theres the cost of the back itself. It was my brother, the young scamp, who sowed the seed in my head "We used them at college all the time" I will have to have a word with him /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Indeed it seems I would need to win the lottery, or "cash in some share options" as one manufacturer put it :(

Hopefully this thread will get closed to avoid further disappointment!

8. michaelt

michaelt Well-Known Member

The Leaf Valeo 22 Back retails for £13K from Calumet : http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/850-200A.html
    The Bronica SQA adaptor is £592

The Leaf range of digital backs were bought out by Kodak and are now found here: http://www.leaf-photography.com/pages/products.aspx
    Renamed from Valeo to Aptus, the largest sensor they do at the moment is 33MP.

It retails for around £20K at Calumet: http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/015-00802A.html

You could try pricerunner for a cheaper place, but you won't find one :p

Edit: Forgot to add, they come with a 3 year warranty, which is always a plus!!

9. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

A lot of them are not full frame,so as well as costing a fortune they will change the coverage of your lenses. A decent neg scanner would be a cheaper option and would leave the camera behaving as it always did.

10. michaelt

michaelt Well-Known Member

Full frame for MF is currently not cost effective. It would pretty much double those prices. As for a neg scanner, yes that's true. But for the people who these backs are marketed for, they are a godsend. Developing film then scanning etc is very time consuming. And once you have the scan you have to spend as much time touching it up as you would do on the image straight out of the digital back.

But, if a company like mamiya are developing systems which make use of these sensors, they will no doubt produce lenses of wider focal lengths to go with. given the choice and an unlimited budget, i'd certainly take the back!! :)

11. shootist

shootist New Member

My advice: Hang on to your etrs and lenses. It won't be long before somebody comes up with a 645 digital back at a reasonable (sub-£2000) price.

12. chris47w

chris47w New Member

Their are lots of bronica equipment on ebay for sale but don't know if anybody will repair the leaf shutters when the break down.

I'd stick to film as i've seen a second hand digital back (16MP) for about £5000. A Epson Perfection V600 High Resolution 6400 x 9600 dpi Scanner is £250 and scans medium format as well as 35mm.

13. john_smith

john_smith Member

Just get a Nikon D3x.....more than good enough. Put the ETRSi in your personal museum of out-of-date equipment.

14. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

Stick with film and scan in. ......I do and have no complaints from the Stock Library I supply. ......Digital backs, given their price are never going to be cost effective.