1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

digital camera for my kid

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by monedula, Feb 22, 2020.

1. monedula

monedula New Member

Hi. my 7-year-old kid indulges in taking photos recently. I have an old canon camera, but we afraid it's too difficult for a little kid. We decide to buy a kid digital camera for her, our budget is under $50, does anyone have a recommendation?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That’s a hard one. The main issue for a child is size and weight but it also depends on their temperament; if they are into rough and tumble then something delicate either won’t last that long or they’ll get fed up molly-coddling it. Difficulty shouldn’t be a problem for a seven year old, compared to a computer game a camera is a doddle.

Young or old the most important factor with a camera is whether the user actually likes to hold it.

You’ll be looking at second-hand for that price. I’m not very aware of what is available in the main compact market. A trouble with compacts is that they bring out new models so quickly it is hard to keep track. Olympus/Fuji/Canon/Nikon all do “tough” models at the bottom of their range.

I gave my grandson my Canon G10 when he was about 7. This was an advanced compact in its time. The main problem was it was too delicate and he was frightened of dropping it while he’d rather be running around.

monedula likes this.
  3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Perhaps something tough like a GoPro or equivalent.

Children seem to be able to find their way round technology better than adults anyway. People always got them to set the video recorder back in the day!

monedula likes this.
  4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

There a lots of small digital cameras on the secondhand market because people believe they can take better pictures with a smartphone (and in the case of children, some gullible parent has probably signed up to an expensive contract to supply one).

This is just the first page of used 'digital compact cameras' from the London Camera Exchange website, sorted by price so that the cheapest appear first.

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondha...=Digital+Compact+Cameras&Location=&Results=12

This one is only £10.00 ... boxed, with box, battery, charger and 6 month guarantee (but also ask if the user guide is in the box too).
    So you'll only need to buy a memory card to fit, and perhaps see if Panasonic's website has a user guide to download if needed,

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FS5_270112.html

At this price, if your child drops it you won't have lost too much.

I've just noticed your budget is in dollars, so you're probably not in the UK. I expect retailers in your country also have lots of good condition used compact cameras.

5. Justin0

Justin0 New Member

You can give your kid a kids camera. The design, size, and weight are suitable for kids, and that kind of camera also has multiple functions.
    I bought one for my niece. She likes it very much. I am so happy because she has no interest in fiddling with my camera anymore.
    [​IMG]

6. monedula

monedula New Member

OK. thank you

7. monedula

monedula New Member

It looks very cute.