1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital artifact

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Andr2410, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Andr2410

Andr2410 Well-Known Member

Attached is a tightly cropped JPEG conversion of an unedited RAW file. I noticed something that is, or is at least similar to worming. Could someone please have a closer look at this image and advise me as to whether what I'm seeing is worming, what is causing it and what, if anything, can be done to prevent it? Thanks! DSC_4652.jpg

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

what is it? Looks like a badly painted surface to me. What magnification is it?

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Yes, looks like paint wrinkling.

4. Andr2410

Andr2410 Well-Known Member

Maybe you're right. It is a painted surface, so that may make sense - it's just not something I've noticed to that extent before. Thanks for the reassurance!

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I never heard the term "worming" but if you have an image that combines a lot of very fine edge detail with areas of monotone such as a bare tree against grey sky and look at a 100% view (or higher) of an area of twigs and sky while you wind up the sharpening you will see artefacts start to develop in the sky that can look a bit like interconnected worm shapes.

6. dan marchant

dan marchant Well-Known Member

Worms are a form of noise like artefact but long and twisty - looking like tiny worms. They occur with some Fuji cameras and I have also seen them on image from Sony cameras. Noise reduction doesn't work well to clear them up and they can be greatly exacerbated by sharpening.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Looks like a bad paint job to me too - I write as a failed DIY interior decorator.

Seriously, if it was a digital artefact problem, I would use my ancient copy of Photoshop Elements to select only that area of the image and experiment with blurring it, or possibly adding some fine grain and then blurring it.

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

an excellent example of too heavily applied paint wrinkling.
    looks like painted over the remains of woodchip

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I recognised it immediately, I have done this myself:oops:.