1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by albini13, Sep 22, 2002.

1. albini13

albini13 Well-Known Member

I work at Jessops but haven`t been there for long. I`m always looking to improve my knowledge on SLRs and Flashguns. One of the questions we get asked constantly about SLR's is, "What makes that camera beter than that one". Usually this question is aimed at the Canon EOS 300 compared to other EOS camera like the EOS 30 and the EOS 3. What are the main differences between the 300 and the 3 ? I presume that some of the differences are:-

More frames per second
    better metering system
    Eye Control
    Custom settings functions etc etc

Are there any more differences ? And do these extra features warrant spending an extra £300 ish pounds ? Can you actually say that the more expensive EOS camera give you a better quality shot ?

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Absolutely not. The camera is but a light tight box at the end of the day and it is the lens/film/processing/photographers skill that will ultimately decide whether a "better" shot is produced or not. As you are in the retail industry I think you have to extract from the customer as much information as you can as to what he/she WANTS from a camera and then advise them accordingly. There is no point it advocating a more expensive/feature packed model if you believe that the extra features will neither be required or used by a particular customer.

BigWill

<font color=blue>Someday Jeri Ryan will weaken!<font color=black>

3. albini13

Thats exactly what i do. Features are features, take camcorders for instance, most digital camcorders run at 520-530 lines of resolution. The lens on a camcorder, be it leica or zeiss rarely makes a difference to the final output. The price difference in camcorders is mainly to do with features (blue tooth etc etc). This is what i presume happens with SLR's. P>S

4. BigWill

Yes. I think the danger lies in selling an "over specced" piece of kit to someone who either doesn't need it or know how to use it. Generally speaking most advanced amateurs will know exactly what they are looking for and will probably be able to tell you exactly what features the camera posesses, never mind you telling them! Listening to the customer and making an accurate assessment of their needs is vital and I am glad to hear that you adhere to those principals when making a sale.

BigWill

5. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

Differences between EOS300 and 3

The EOS300 is a well-specified amateur camera while the EOS3 is a pro/semi-pro camera but also bought by keen amateurs as well.

The build quality on the 3 is far superior and is more weather resistant than the 300. This is why the 3 doesn't have a built-in flash (a weak point for water ingress). I don't remember whether the 300 has a metal lens mount or not but the 3 certainly does.

Overall, the 3 is a much larger camera than the 300. They basically do the same job but the 300 designed to be light and compact and engineered to an acceptable price for the amateur market. On the hand, the 3 has more features of use to a 'serious' photographer and is made from more robust materials and has seals around the controls to provide a degree of weather-proofing.

Sell a 300 to somebody who really takes holiday snaps but MUST have an SLR. Sell a 30 to somebody who is serious about their photography and sell a 3 to somebody who has specific needs e.g. photographing birds in flight.

I attempted the shot below on my EOS 50E last year to no avail but the wide area autofocus of the 3 captured it perfectly last month.

[​IMG]

David

6. sinister

sinister Well-Known Member

Surely working for a Photographic retail store your training should have told you want you needed to know.

As I have said in another thread that the training given is more about extracting cash from the hand of a punter than telling him or her about the product.

<font color=green>Steve</font color=green>
    http://www.aspects.net/~sthompson

7. albini13

If you had read my thread it says that i "haven`t worked for them for that long". There are many different training courses including a CPC (certified photogrphic consultant course). The courses that i was mainly interested in were the Digital Video courses and the Video Editing courses. To say that the training given has sales sales sales in mind is utter rubbish. Most of the training is offered by the manufactureres themselves. I have attended courses run by Canon and Nikon in the digital field. Your comments are at best small minded. I posted up a thread in order to improve my knowledge by asking like minded pople who are well educated in this subject for their opinions. You seem to have a problem with the whole company/ money making thing, where as I am trying to improve my knowledge.

8. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

Re: Differences between EOS300 and 3

I don't remember whether the 300 has a metal lens mount or not but the 3 certainly does.
    no it has a plastic mount but its replacement,the 300V with faster film transport etc does have a metal mount.
    As for comparisons between the 3 and the 300,there isnt one!

Whatever it is that lives,A tree,a man,or a bird,should be touched gently

9. Larry Shone

nice shot of a second year gull David.Must rry something like this with my 300 and 75-300

10. sinister

.....Your comments are at best small minded....

You seem to forget the first leason in sales. Respect the customer. If you had read any of the threads regarding Jessops. You will have found that we have agreed here that the training and customer relations have taken a serious nosedive since Jessops have been on a large expansion campagn.

If your attitude is do Digital Vidio Editing, may I suggest you leave the sales side.

11. Lounge_Lizard

Cool it!

Come on now - let's not be at loggerheads here. We all agree that Jessops isn't as good as they used to be but that isn't the fault of albini13.

He/she (can't tell from the bio) is just being honest with us and that's no reason to be agressive. Equally, albini13 should refrain from calling others "small-minded". We are here to discuss our common passion of photography and not make personal digs at each other.

David

12. Larry Shone

Re: Cool it!

too bloody right,ust get on and enjoy your hobby

13. albini13

Sorry i do appologise for making semi-personal comments but i do get wound up with comments that are ill informed.

14. sinister

Re: Cool it!

Fair enough. But I would have thought that someone claiming to work for a Photographic retailer would be a bit careful when coming and asking for advice. Given that We have two threads running on related retail matters.

And I do get very anoyed when a retailers representative calls me small minded talking about their outlet. Kind realy pisses me off wanting to purchase from them.

15. BigWill

If you want to get old "Sinister" really wound up try calling him a "camel shagger" /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif OK, kiss and make up you two.......but no tongues! We don't want to bring this site into disrepute! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

16. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

I do wish David would refrain from posting images that will cost me £700 (EOS3 at Mifsud)

Pete IRIPN

17. BigWill

.....but you're worth it Pete! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Big(My seagull's sharper than sharp suited man!)Will

18. albini13

Respect the customer ! ?

Maybe i`ll remember that comment the next time i spend 8 hours of my own time restoring a customers print that Kodak so kindly ruined, then returning it to them and watching the joy in their faces.

And maybe i`ll forget about the time when i personally turned up at a customers house in order to sort out a problem they had with their computer.

Oh and the time when i gave a customer my old college notes on HTML and web design.

But hey this thread was about the differences in Canon cameras.

(and by the way Jessops sell video cameras and editing kits)

19. Lounge_Lizard

OK OK OK !

Are you trying to prolong this debate?

Let's keep this thread at the photographic level not the personal level.

20. BigWill

.......or the time you sold that blind guy a Zenit telling him it was a Leica that was labrador controlled so that every time the dog saw a good shot he yanked on his lead and you just had to press the shutter!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif Nah, only spoofing and we know that you are the exception that proves the rule that not all camera retailers are money grabbing bastards! (Heck, we know that already cause we have lovely "photovest" Jack on the site to prove it!)

BigWill