1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Diet

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Aug 16, 2020.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Me or the facts, or both?

Zou, GeoffR, MJB and 1 other person like this.
  2. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I doubt if anyone here has been employed by a Care Agency as a Care worker, so reading the link below, may well change some people's views on why for some, what they eat, is governed by other things which they have very little control over.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/17/day-in-the-life-of-a-care-worker-zero-hours-contracts

What this article glosses over/presents a rose-tinted view of, is that some of the care staff I know, (who live in the centre of Reading) may well have to travel in a day, as far afield as Newbury, Wokingham, Goring/Streatley and also Hook. They are not paid for the time commuting from one location to another, and quite a number of them have started off at 8 pm and returned home at 10 pm.

How their Care staff manage to fit in where and what they eat, seems to be of marginal interest to the Agencies who employ them; I also get the impression that the concept of advertising for staff, or/and take on 'clients' that encompass specific areas, isn't a concept they take on board.

It should also be pointed out that it's not just people in these jobs that suffer in this manner ....

Many people who are using the Direct Payments system, can, in fact, advertise and recruit the staff they need themselves, rather than using a Care Agency, which is the method I employ, making use of the various regulatory bodies for police record checks and the money I am allocated is managed by an accredited accountant. It's initially a fiddly procedure, but it also means my carers are much better paid, and between myself and the carer/s we both benefit, whilst also costing my local council less money because of the difference between what I pay and what an agency would charge per hour.
    At some point, I'll try and give a better description of how this works, so anyone who may be in the same 'boat' like me, can benefit from the system I am using.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    EightBitTony likes this.
  3. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I was the first person in Scotland to get direct payments to be able to emply a person to look after my sons, I placed adverts in the Invergordon/Inverness job centre and employed them, it was really quite easy, they kept their hours, and I did also recording when they had my sons, bi-monthly I sent in a statement to the social services money was paid directly to my bank account as an employer

4. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

It was in response to you saying cans of fruit salad, then went on to dismiss someone else’s post by talking about farm shops. I was being sarcastic!

6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I think you were being unnecessarily rude to a relatively new forum member.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think it's fair to say that your autism makes you a very poor judge of what's rude and what is not, which is all fine and dandy until you decide you're the forum police. You are not. If there's something you don't think is acceptable, report it, and we will look at it. If you start to try to boss people about, though, and impose your own discipline, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

8. dream_police

Certainly not intentionally rude.

9. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Gotcha :)

dream_police likes this.
  10. dream_police

I was sat here wondering if you were being serious or not!

Craig20264 and MJB like this.
  11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Mr. Hooper! Another barrel. He won't stay down for long with two barrels...

Craig20264 likes this.
  12. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine following her leaving her abusive husband was "housed" in a "hotel" for nearly 3 months. One small room for her and her then 15-year old son. One dirty shower and two uncleaned toilets for the floor she was on and a kitchenette that was permanently filthy. She's a good cook who thinks about healthy eating but she was forced to live on fast food, biscuits and a little fruit. The owners were charging the council £400 a week (this was around 9 years ago) and because she was working the council only paid half so after paying her share she was left with around £60 a week for fares etc