1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diet

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

After the defeat of the post war Labour government, it became clear that any Tory administration would only indulge in consensus politics for as long as was necessary to rebuild the economy so it could be exploited again......Thatcher was but one step on the way to where we are now but the first sign of clear blue water between the major parties.

For those who think that temporary accommodation is ok then see these - sadly the tip of a rather large (and profitable iceberg):

https://www.google.com/search?q=terminus house harlow&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-m

https://www.google.com/search?q=terminus house harlow&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-m

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02110/

any one who has seen these places (even from the outside) could never think that they’re acceptable for people to live in........and please don’t drag the migrant red herring into this - it’s about caring and compassion.

Take care,
    Mike

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

But out of your 'most' how many of them are part of your set of people who need to eat more healthily? You're making up sets of people now with no idea what the intersectionality is.

For a family of 1, 4 or 6? With one or both income earners working none, one, two, multiple jobs? Based on evidence or memory or guesswork? Are you taking all relevant factors in to account, such as all the ingredients, the power, the equipment and tools, or are you just thinking 'I can buy some spuds for 2 quid so surely it's cheaper'.

Stop simplifying the problem so that it fits in your sphere of immediate experience.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

That's why the American chicken is chlorinated. Chlorination isn't the food safety issue, it's why it's done. Add to that hormone reared beef, BST milk, the 85 different pesticides that are legal in the US, but banned in the EU/UK. The worst bit is, this stuff won't end up on your supermarket shelf. It's going to end up in your school meals, hospital food and anywhere where large quantities of food are prepared on a tight price point.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The least used kitchens I've seen were in 'rich' people's homes. The laziest eaters may just be all those M&S ready-mealers who tuck into dinner for two for a tenner over the evening news and thank the good lord they aren't like the feckless poor eating tinned goods from a food bank.

AndyTake2 and EightBitTony like this.
  5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

What on earth does a 'least used' kitchen look like?

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Pristine, like the illustration in the catalogue...

John Farrell, EightBitTony and Zou like this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Complete with the cooker manual still inside the cooker, and the numbers wearing off on the microwave buttons.

John Farrell and EightBitTony like this.
  8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

You know that's all circumstantial evidence don't you? They may just keep the manual where they can find it easily.
    Your witness.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I tend to think it's being kept safe and clean to maximise resale value. When selling a few years later they can claim the kitchen is just-fitted and can increase the house price by £25k. Which of course is more than they spent over the years on Waitrose pret-a-microwave meals. ;)

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

11. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a recipe for farts!
    ...And where does the protein come from?

Eating well is easy when one has the physical ability to shop without problems, the money to shop without problems, and the facilities and skills to cook.

Zou, MJB and EightBitTony like this.
  12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I don't really know why I bother, but let me try.

1. how much did it cost you to go and buy that food, including transport, petrol, time, and other sundries.
    2. how much did it cost to actually cook the food including gas/electric, time, utensils.
    3. how much did it cost to store the food between buying it and cooking it, including fridge power (if you have a fridge), time, utensils, etc?
    4. how much did it cost to store the other half (it feeds eight) until it was ready to be consumed, including fridge power, utensils, containers, etc?
    5. how much did the space involved in all of that cost you from start to finish?

The raw ingredients cost me £10 so the whole meal costs £10 is another myth that deserves to be dispelled.

Film cost £5 a roll and gave you 36 exposures so each exposure cost you ~14p right?

Oh, apart from camera, studio hire, model hire, equipment hire, lighting, transport, development costs, time spent developing your skills, hours of time actually put in to the process, etc., etc.

Zou, Catriona and MJB like this.
  13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

In this country, access to the raw ingredients isn't generally the problem, storage, cooking and eating facilities are a very different matter.

14. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

IGNORING

15. Stephen Rundle

Ask a vegan or vegetarian feel free to add nuts

16. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Ask my wife.

Craig20264 likes this.
  17. Stephen Rundle

Oh and before anyone with a lack of imagination :) :) comments on cost/transportation/footprints ;) ;) ;)

Even my neighbours 4 year old knows that local farms and farm shops exist and you can always grow your own

18. Stephen Rundle

Very true

19. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I find that farm shops tend to be pricey here.

That said, I’m happy to support our local businesses.

20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Cool. Your local farm shop grows and cans fruit salad?

gray1720, AndyTake2, WillieJ and 2 others like this.