1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did somebody say "grain" .... ;)

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Done_rundleCams, Oct 25, 2018.

1. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

They'd be much nicer (and the grain a bit less pronounced) printed on photographic paper via an enlarger. Incidentally, I was watching a bloke in my local play on of those 8 string, fannied fret guitars through my Marshall combo - a very expensive looking bit of kit (the guitar, not my amp) and he still managed to make it sound like someone kicking a suitcase down the stairs.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Thanks Tony ... much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Jack

3. Done_rundleCams

:D :D :D

Jack

4. Done_rundleCams

Well, If I'm really brave, Taxor, I, actually, purchase some paper and the associated chemical and try some 8x10 prints at one of
    the local camera clubs/community darkroom (kind of) in my neighbourhood :eek: and see how the grain looks on a print :).

Cheers,

Jack

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Strange how my attitudes change. When I was a school boy I used to try and minimise grain by using Microdol and Pan F (I think that was the film). Silly really because I was using an old folder with simple triplet and no focussing aid. I rarely enlarged beyond half plate. Now I like gritty grain for suitable monochrome subjects. The grain has to be sharp, and faked digital grain is obviously fake.

6. Done_rundleCams

100%, Learning, 100% :). Except, when I was starting out in late 80's, I was never into "fine grain" stuff, mainly, because I was shooting for newspapers and, par for the course was, shooting 400 (BW or Colour) and we would regularly push the film two stops or, on the rare occasion, three stops :eek: So, when the high speed films (1600 or 3200) came around, it was a bonus :). I really like the Rollei Retro 400 ... such nice grain :)

Cheers,

Jack

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  7. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

What band is in those shots Jack?They look sort of Country to me.

Love the pics though.

8. Done_rundleCams

Thanks Dave :) and the band is called "Peddle Train" and they play a bit of everything ;)

https://www.reverbnation.com/peddletrain

Cheers,

Jack

9. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Thanks Jack,and thanks for the link..

10. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Well grain isn't a fault in the film, it is the film as brush strokes and knife texture are to paintings.

Zou and Done_rundleCams like this.
  11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Oh I agree, but if Jack threw one of these lumps at you...

Sorry Jack, just teasing. I'd be happy to have taken any of them.

Off topic a bit, they remind me a bit of early Stones.

S

12. Done_rundleCams

Exactly, Mark, I, usually, tend to cast blame on the developer, person or the liquid, because
    it can't have anything to do with the exposure and/or the photographer ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Zou likes this.
  13. Done_rundleCams

No worries, Steve, I've had way more photos rejected than accepted :D ... tis part of the game ;)

I'll let them know, Steve, and, I'm guessing they'll chuffed at that ... reminding you of the early Stones :)

Cheers,

Jack

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. Mark101

Are Rolling Stones more of a hazard that ones that just lay there doing nothing ?

15. Done_rundleCams

Well, personally, Mark, I prefer the latter :eek: Mind you, I'm just speaking about myself -- old and sloth like ;) --
    I prefer the band to have a bit of mobility .... such as these geezers:
    Mar1-18-AP-Thurs-IMGP6251 copy.jpg Mar1-18-AP-Thurs-IMGP6171 copy.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

16. Mark101

Last time I wasvin a position like that Jack Diane got me drunk and had her wicked way:D

17. Done_rundleCams

:D :D :D ...... I don't think, Mark, I ever had that much energy :D ...although, perhaps, during my travels through Europe and the UK in mid-70's ;)

Cheers,

jack