1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Did anyone get to Pentax day at SRS?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by colindavis, Mar 1, 2009.

1. colindavis

colindavis Well-Known Member

Well did anyone manage along? If so was it any good, any news, suggestions or rumours of new products to help me part with my hard earned wonga?

Colin :)

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Not me, sorry.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Bit too far for me too, although it is my home town store.

4. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

I went there (Rayners Lane) a couple of weeks ago to check out the Tamron 18-250 (going to the desert, didn't want to change lenses there) but bought a really nice Sigma 24-135 PKAF for £70 and a Sigma 135/2.8 for my Rollei 35 SE for £19. There were quite a lot of tempting manual lenses there too.

5. jeallen01

jeallen01 Well-Known Member

When visiting the Rayners Lane branch, have plenty of 20p pieces for the parking meters, which gobble a lot and quickly! - the parking attendants are Sh*t hot and will book you really easily :D

6. Tony_Polson

Tony_Polson Member

No, I didn't go either. But I just wanted to comment on the fact that SRS Watford have disposed of nearly all their secondhand stock of film cameras.

I used to enjoy browsing the items in the window whenever I visited Watford and have bought several items in the past five years. But no longer. If I want to go to a camera shop that doesn't stock used gear, accepts no part exchange and only has a limited range of new gear, I can go to Jessops.

That particular business model hasn't done Jessops any good. Let's see how much good it does SRS.

7. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

My local independent dealer in Burton on Trent sold all its s/h stock, won't accept px, has adopted the Jessops model except that the discounts are small and I guess it will close soon. Sad,really. Jacobs are doing themselves no favours by moving all the s/h stock to New Oxford Street and overpricing it although I did buy 2 lenses for Mamiya TLR there some months ago. Only LCE left now of the high-street shops has s/h stock and most managers are flexible on price.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I was talking to their MD at the AP Awards, and he told me that s/h remains important and profitable business to them, both from the point of new sales and trade-ins, and the actual s/h business, so we shouldn't see any change there in a hurry, thankfully.

Shame about SRS - I often used to take a detour to Watford if I was anywhere near just to have a browse and buy the odd item - I won't be doing that again, from the sound of it.

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Doesn't surprise me. I recently tried to trade-in some of my now largely unused film cameras to my local indie shops without success. The manager said they'd pretty much given up taking in all but the most recent or top of the range film kit because they just can't sell most of it.

Rather than being a matter of adopting the Jessops business strategy I suspect it's more a case of facing reality - ie old film cameras are becoming increasingly hard to shift and an unsold film camera is a bottom line liability not an asset. Remember also that Jessops didn't just stop taking and selling used film cameras; they stopped dealing in secondhand kit altogether and that was their real mistake. Your comment seems to suggest that SRS have cut back severely on film bodies rather than abandoning the second hand market - after all there is now a small market in used DSLRs and used AF lenses still tend to sell well.