1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Devon Meet - Living Coast and Stover Country Park (21 Aug)

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by John_Baker, Aug 21, 2007.

1. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

Had a great day out today with Colin (Badgerman), started at the Living Coast in Torquay, before moving over to Stover Country Park.

Following the dreadful weather yesterday I was not expecting much – however, it turned out to be a really great day. I was keen to work on my birds in movement at the Living Coast, this was the overcast part of the day, so light the was not great...
    1 -
    [​IMG]

2-
    [​IMG]

3 -
    [​IMG]

4 -
    [​IMG]

5 -
    [​IMG]

6 -
    [​IMG]

Stover was spectacular with large Dragons all over the place and Damsels in vast numbers – highlight was some chap who found a grass snake, little thing was about a foot long, wonderful looking..

7 -
    [​IMG]

8 -
    [​IMG]

9 -
    [​IMG]

10 -
    [​IMG]

11 -
    [​IMG]

12 -
    [​IMG]

2. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

They are all great John. Love number 2 though, that's my fave, the expression on the bird is wonderful. :D

3. Yelofox

Yelofox Well-Known Member

Exellent shots. :D

4. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Excellent shots John. Wish I could have come, rather than sit at desk in front of laptop talking to customers.

5. John_Baker

Richard - just for you another shot of the hungry little chap, god he was noisy...

Steve shame you had to work - I am missing two goes at the Reds next week, Torquay on the 29th - see www.royaltorbayyc.org.uk and Dartmouth on the 31st – www.dartmouthregatta.co.uk - Not my best timing...

Yelofox, forgot to mention that your mum was also with us today! Hopefully she had a good day out...
    [​IMG]

6. aiwa_yamaha

aiwa_yamaha Well-Known Member

Nice shots John, I'd have to say number 2 is my fave.

7. John_Baker

James you missed a cracker, you should have come with us!!!
    [​IMG]

8. aiwa_yamaha

I know, maybe next time. We will deff have to arrange something else soon. You got much in mind?

9. Badgerman

Badgerman Well-Known Member

Great day out John, my wife enjoyed the day to....Will have to arange another meet again soon.
    Here are a few shots from today...ps. you got some crackers there John. :)

1/

[​IMG]

2/

[​IMG]

3/

[​IMG]

4/

[​IMG]

5/

[​IMG]

6/

[​IMG]

7/

[​IMG]

8/

[​IMG]

9/

[​IMG]

10/

[​IMG]

10. JaySteel

JaySteel Well-Known Member

Fantastic shots there. What's the secret to capturing birds in flight? How do you get the focus right?
    What snake is that? Was it caught in the wild or in some kind of enclosure?

11. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

I'm on leave on 14th September (Fri) or available over that weekend. If anyone has any ideas of where to meet/go/etc, I'll be up for it.

12. Badgerman

John has got capturing the birds in flight weighed off, its not easy to do, the snake in the pictures is a Grass Snake.
    A chap caught it and was showing it to us and we managed to get a few shots :)

13. JaySteel

Thanks for that.

14. aiwa_yamaha

I'll be up for doing something. The meetings are ever so fun. Near me i have pretty much no one to discuss in person about cameras and to go out on photo shoots, It SUCKS.

I think the snake shot for you Colin is my fave, looks a natural place, and the lighting on the flash looks good.

15. Badgerman

Thankyou James, It is the best of the bunch - John had a great macro set up and his Dragonfly shots are superb - I wish I'd used mine.
    The Grass Snake was the highlight of the day and hopefully we will get some new subjects to photograph at the next meet.

16. Badgerman

One More.... :)

[​IMG]

17. John_Baker

Secret of flight..

Jay – taking birds in flight is not really difficult. All you need is to be prepared have a go, it is very hit and miss as long as you have your AF on continuous, you will get something – the trick was that I took over 300 shots on the day, a lot went straight in the bin! Having a good location really helps.
    [​IMG]

A couple more of the grass snake, he was definitely the star of the day. Chap turned up saying “guess what I have in my binocular case”, we were expecting a beetle, he then let the snake out… Trying to get the whole snake was nearly impossible...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Badgerman

Re: John at work

3 Pictures of John at work....I told him I can't swim, so dont fall in :)

1/

[​IMG]

2/

[​IMG]

3/

[​IMG]

19. JaySteel

Thanks John. I did have the AF on continuous last time I tried but I was failing to get anything worth keeping.
    These are about the best efforts I managed and they've all been cropped. As you can see they're really poor.
    I either need lots and lots of practice or I need to stick to photographing things that don't move!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. John_Baker

Jay – nothing really wrong with 1 & 2 – first is 250” at f14 second was 640” at f8 both have exposure compensation of +0.33 – both are good exposures. Try different ISOs, going up will improve shutter speed, these suckers move, so try getting the speed up near 1,000” may help, too fast and you will freeze the action, you need a little bit of movement… They are no worst than some of mine!

Colin - No 3 shows my dedication, elbow was in the water as was my camera strap which was “sucking up water”… My macro kit is a bit of a handful and consists of a Tamron 180 macro, S/H Canon Off-Camera Shoe Cord II, the bracket is a S/H Stroboframe RL and the flash diffuser is a Lightsphere II. I also swapped the lens for my 35-350 because the dragonflies always manage to get that little bit too far away, kit still works.

Here is a macro photo of the grass snake taken with the above kit...
    [​IMG]