1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Developing old Kodak HIE

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by shendy, Jan 22, 2018.

1. shendy

shendy Member

Hi - following on from the recent thread about old FP4, I've got a similar query - but different enough to justify a separate thread.
    I've decided to get going again on some b&w film photography and have re-acquired the kit to develop it myself.
    On digging out the Olympus OM1N, I realised there was a roll of film inside it, and the note on the bottom of the camera said it was a roll of Kodak HIE infra-red. Looking back at my film records, I last used the OM1N in 2009, so this roll dates back to about that time.

Any thoughts on what state the latent images might be like, and how much extra development I might need to give it?

Thanks
    Simon

2. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Tough one the bigger issue might be has the film survived in the camera over such a long time. I can't say how much more dev time you might need. Your post is unanswered which suggests we don't have the experience to deal with the query. Understandable considering I would say follow the times and temps as normal but add a few minutes more,again I don't know. At best you might be lucky at worst you'll lose something that has no real relevance as you probably can't remember what was on the film.

Still it would be nice to see what's there but as I said earlier has the film survived in the camera after such a long time. Infrared needs to be kept in darkness more than any other film. Good luck with it. After such a long time waiting for a reply you probably have tried to develop it. Let us know as you are now a person of interest as you may have some valuable knowledge.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

4. shendy

shendy Member

Thanks for prompting me Frank.

In the end I opted for 10 minutes in Ilfosol 3 1+9, and they came out OK! Once I saw the images, I was able to date it to April/May 2011, so nearly 7 years in the camera.
    No issues with the film itself, wound onto the spiral with no problems. The camera hadn't been kept in especially cool nor hot conditions, just the normal inside of a house. It had been in a bag, so no additional IR light hitting it at all.
    Seeing as it was the first film I've developed for about 17 years, it was the first IR I've ever done and it had been in the camera for so long, I'm quite pleased.

This is on the Grand Union Canal just outside Northampton
    [​IMG]

Buscot Park in Oxfordshire
    [​IMG]

Our neighbour's back garden in Bristol
    [​IMG]

neilt3, frank1 and steveandthedogs like this.
  5. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

If you like the effect , I can highly recomend Rollei Infrared 400S film .
    With an R72 filter on I expose it as EI 6 .
    This one was done in a Minolta Dynax 9 and a 24mm f/2.8 lens .
    The film was developed in Fotospeed FD10 at 1+9 for 10 minutes ( @ 20 C ) , I'm currently developing in Rodinal which is giving it a bit more grain and more contrast with a bit longer than normal development .

I used my Sony a900 to "scan" the film with a slide copier , but have since got my old Minolta DiMage Scan Duall IV back in action .

shendy and steveandthedogs like this.
  6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The R80s and R400s are good for IR as well, and are cheaper! Not quite the same IR response, but still very good.

porth-mynwent-web.jpg Llanerchymedd-1.webjpg.jpg

S

7. shendy

shendy Member

I've got some of the Rollei IR for my 5x4, and also some Retro 80s for 35mm and 120 - and some Rodinal.

8. pos

pos New Member

Good luck, just remember to unload the film and load into the tank in total darkness

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...and at as low a temperature as is practical (you have been keeping it refrigerated I hope)

10. shendy

shendy Member

I just thought you may be interested to learn that I found 6 rolls of Kodak HIE in the garage at the weekend, along with 3 rolls of colour EIR.
    It all expired in 2009 and 2006 respectively but seeing as the other roll survived years in the camera I may as well give it a go. The colour stuff might be the incentive to try doing my own E6.
    There can't be many rolls of these left now!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  11. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Good on you . Make the most of them though , it's the last you'll see of them........
    I do like the Rollei I.R for black and white though , worth giving it a go if you haven't used some already.
    I need to get some of the Retro 80s and 400s yet though to try them with an I.R filter on .
    That's one for the summer , if we get one !

steveandthedogs likes this.