1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Developing medium format

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by tazio35, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

I too would second those words of advice, but would add that the little stainless steel balls in the Paterson reels must be completely free before you start loading the film. Just try moving them about with a fingernail or ball point before comitting the spirals to the changing bag.

For some reason the balls are prone to get stuck, especially if the reels are well worn. (One of mine dropped out altogether). By the time you have unrolled the film, and found that you cannot load it onto the spiral it may well be impossible to resolve the problem without letting light into the bag. :(

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Okay, who's going to do the joke? Someone better had before BigWill arrives and has a field day with it! ;-)

3. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

You could always stick the film in the tank and put the lid on before investigating further.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yup - that's my procedure in the case of a problem.

5. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

Good thinking Batman! Why didn't I think of that? :eek:

But in my defence, it is not easy to be logical when one of your balls has just dropped out. :eek:

6. tazio35

tazio35 Well-Known Member

I find my Paterson reels vary. Some load really easily whilst others are a complete pain.

I've couple of shots left in the Holga and then I'll give it a go.

7. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

I find JOBO ones a great deal better and they also fit Patterson tanks. The plastic used seems to have a bit of a non-stick surface and never have a problem even with a 36 exp 35mm

8. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

I use Jessops ones. I presume they're Jessops, they came in a Jessops tank. One's fine, but the other just seems to stop halfway through the film. Unfortunately I can never remember which one it is.