1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Deliberate?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by SXH, Sep 18, 2019.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

OK, having come to the conclusion, after a couple of years, that while I prefer the look of the Olympus EM10, other things being equal(ish), I find the the Lumix G models more to my liking - handling is better, IC software is better. So I'm getting rid of my OM10 and have replaced it with a G6, with an old G5 for backup.

My question is, did they deliberately design the G6 to look like the Leica R8? I also wonder how Leica, who seem to have a close relationship with Panasonic/Lumix felt about it.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Do you really think the G6 looks like a R8? It doesn't strike me as at all similar. I have a G2, a GH2 and a G9 and I'd say they share a style all their own.

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

If you do a Google search on "leica r8 lumix g6", you will find a lot of people do.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I did find this:
    from https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g6/3

I suppose that the front profile is similar but I doubt anyone could mistake a G6 for a R8 beyond the shortest glance.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Nah, nothing like the S2 - the G6 (and the R8) both have a smooth curved top, without the prism/EVF bulging out...
    C3.jpg
    The G6 was definitely a bit weird shape-wise, compared with the rest of the G series.

Nice piece of kit though. Well, I like it. :)

6. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

My wife did not want Nikon and chose the G1 and I bought her the long telephoto. Dosen't get a lot of use, but uncropped prints are a lot more pleasing to the eye than those from my Nikons.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I can't ultimately claim that the look of a camera greatly sways me and I don't really care which models resemble each other. To the untrained eye they probably all look much alike.