1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Decorating

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fen, Aug 4, 2020.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Wallpaper is expensive - 5 years ago, my house was flooded. A builder had to cut a strip of plasterboard off the bottom of the walls, to allow the house to dry out. When it came to reinstatement, the options were to patch the walls, and replace the wallpaper, or completely reline the house, and paint the walls. It was less expensive to reline and paint.

Catriona likes this.
  2. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I detest wall paper with a passion. Fortunately my present house came to me with plain elmusioned walls, and although some were odd colours and took 3 coats to cover the rather garish green and another room - dark blue. Plain white is fine for me, it lasts a 2-3 years, possibly longer with care and a decent sized room can be re-elmusioned in a day and a half, including painting the skirting boards. As I type this I have 2 x 5 litre cans of white matt sitting under the kitchen table reminding me they are not decoration per se, but have to be used fairly shortly.

The worst walls - the house before this one, the living room, dining room and staircase had been plastered with a mock Georgian finish - sculptured and lumpy, which was too awful to contemplate. We had to have most of the downstairs re-plastered. Plastering in small patches I can do, but not whole rooms!

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Likewise.

4. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

If you spend a few hundred pounds on a roll of wallpaper then it’s going to be good quality, but maybe steer clear of B&Q

5. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Spend What?!

Wallpaper is ok as long as it is rolled up in a shop sleeping nicely.
    Actually it is the fact that I hate wallpapering and if one damages it, it is a complete arse to repair, or it's back out with the stripper and pasteboard again:eek:

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Right! If I had hundreds of pounds to paper a room, I wouldn't. I could find a better use for that sort of money.

7. retrofit

Quality wallpaper correctly hung by a pro is much more hard wearing, although I’d avoid high traffic areas.

I despised wallpaper in the 90s, because the trend was to spend £7 a roll from the local DIY store.

£80 upwards a roll will get you something resembling what I’d consider quality.

I went somewhere recently and they had an Audubon Pelican wallpaper that looked like an oil painting.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

To each his own.

Sorry but wall paper isn't for me.

9. retrofit

I do like wall art, I’m not one for bland walls.

I have an acoustic wall in purple, don’t even play musical instruments :p

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

We have pictures on the walls, no real need for anything else/

11. John King

Like wise. A veritable gallery on the stairs of what I consider to be my best work (I may be wrong of course but I like them.)

12. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

I am easily pleased

Before I moved into my current abode I had all the ceilings and walls painted white.

13. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I've relined 2 houses - older houses here had sarked walls (wide, thin planks) with scrim nailed over them, and wallpaper on top. I fixed plasterboard sheets over the sarking, stopped the gaps, and then wallpapered (my stopping was not good enough to paint). Wallpaper then was inexpensive, because it was locally produced. Now, wallpaper is imported, and it appears only premium paper comes in.

Catriona likes this.
  14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Thanks be for living in a traditional Cypriot village house - plaster on the stone walls, white paint on top. Ceilings - wood beams with bamboo on top, all left au naturel. Maintenance after thirty years? - ceiling, zilch, walls, occasional lick of paint after a very wet winter (a rare thing out here). The only highish maintenance item is re-grouting the marmara floor slabs from time to time, mainly in the kitchen.

John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  15. John King

Bare in mind, a lot of modern houses have plasterboard dry lining with additional insulation behind, even on load bearing walls. Wall papering may be a possibility because that is no worse than emulsion painting with regard to dampness. But using a steam paper stripper on plasterboard walls can give rise to all manner of problems. I have seen damage where a whole panel has had to be replaced.

16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

The biggest issue I have found with this is that most places put plasterboard up and line it at best. The days of skimming with plaster appear to be gone, but if this is done, papering and painting is a whole lot easier.

17. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I think the wallpaper is the only thing holding our walls together.

My main issue though is that the person who lived here before was of the Bodge It & Scarper brigade. They painted straight onto the plaster in the bathroom with no sizing at all. I'm in the very long process of peeling off the paint so that we can treat the plaster and start again. Some of it comes away in nice satisfying strips. Other bits I think they mixed the paint with superglue. The bathroom is an absolute eyesore consequently.

Catriona likes this.
  18. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

If you spend a few hundred pounds on a roll of wallpaper then... you need your head examining!

19. retrofit

I’ve hung wallpaper before, and the finish is much more rewarding on thicker quality paper which starts around £60 a roll (John Lewis has some examples of what decent paper looks like)

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I have used Sanderson paper in my old house. It looked good with the original features. House was built 1829 and had original dado rails, cornices etc. The dimensions suited paper too - and covered a few sins, although the plaster beneath in most places was like glass it was so smooth.
    My current box has magnolia everywhere and I'm not in a rush to repaint it.