1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Decorating

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fen, Aug 4, 2020.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I only just saw it but I got it straight away

2. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

The song is older than Adrian. Perhaps he was into heavy metal at an early age.

3. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I seem to remember having a tool that was a roller covered in little spikes that I used before I then liberally steamed the various layers of wallpaper. I had to remove once in yesteryear. It certainly helped to allow the steam to penetrate under the offending mess that subsequently lifted away reasonably easily. These days I have a much easier method: he is called Bill.

Fen and Catriona like this.
  4. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Penthouse red, blue, brown or green didn’t weren’t very good sanitary ware colours either...

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

For goodness sake; if you have wallcovering over dodgy old plaster just be bold. Just get the whole lot off. Deal with damp and then get a good tradesman/tradeswoman plasterer in to re-plaster. Even if you are a teenager and live to a hundred and five, if you do this right the job will outlive you. Plastering in principal is easy. In practice it ain't. There's a knack to it. A craftsman plasterer has the knack.They make the job look easy and they don't make a mess unless they have a 'prentice in their first week. Some DIY jobs are just ridiculous. Plastering is one of them.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Let me add you need to pay for two plasterings. The top coat is Parian, the layer underneath is softer and binds well to the brickwork and top coat.Don't be put off by youngsters you know it all. Parian is not posh. Parian is simply the only long lasting hard plaster

7. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Cream is heavy metal?

8. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Rock band?

John Farrell likes this.
  9. LesleySM

I thought that as well...they're not as far as I am concerned

John Farrell likes this.
  10. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Just impractical. The whole house needs its plaster stripped and redone. That's inevitably a big mess. There are six of us living here with nowhere else to go. I also hesitate to mention the cost.
    Forgive me if your advice falls on deaf ears.

MickLL

11. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Cor! There's another name from the past, not Penthouse... Gezza! Still got the same Demonic avatar :)
    Btw - I'm Dorset based as well now!

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

There was a compilation called "Heavy Cream", but no, not metal. Less metal than Zeppelin by some way, for starters.

It's amazing what you can get into via student radio.

13. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

his has to be a record, even for this site - wallpapering to heavy rock.

Did you know that when Pink Floyd went on tour, they needed an entire Boeing 747 just for themselves and their kit?

... and then there's Bon Jovi. On a terribly hush-hush trip to Turkey for the group, absolutely confidential, no-one must know, to board a 220 foot yacht skippered by a good friend of mine they landed at Dalaman airport in a Boeing 707, with Bon Jovi painted on the side in two metre high letters!

Do you think rock groups prefer Boeing to other aircraft types?

( :D Let's see if we can get this thread onto aviation now. :D )

Fen likes this.
  14. LesleySM

I remember seeing a documentary where it turned out all ELP's gear travelled in 3 huge lorries each of which had the name of a band member on top

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Iron Maiden do. They often tour on "Ed Force ", a 747-400 flown by their lead singer and former airline pilot, Bruce Dickinson. I know he's flown 767s and 737s too.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Yep, Bruce doesn't exactly live up to the hard drinking drug taking Rock and Roll cliche - he likes to fly the 747 instead! ( some aircraft websites list it as a 757-200, but at least til 2017 it was a 747)
    He qualified as a pilot after being in Iron Maiden for some time, and went back to full time Rock and Roll after the airline he worked for went bust.
    There is a documentary (on either Sky or Amazon I think) about Iron Maiden on tour, with Bruce at the controls.

17. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Some might remember this album cover, done in the style of a military aircraft, and its available munitions

IMG.jpg

Catriona likes this.
  18. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Hiya Fen
    Sorry didn’t see your post, yep still hanging on by my fingertips. They’ve tried stamping on them a few times but just not hard enough. Good to see your alive and well.

Fen likes this.
  19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It was leased from Air Atlanta Icelandic.
    During the 2012 Olympics I saw a lot in the media about the Airbus A319s painted as the Firefly and Doves, I kept seeing that Mr Barnes said this and Mr Barnes said that. It took me ages to work out who they were talking about, I just knew him as Dave and nobody ever called him Mr Barnes.

Just for Squeamish, Aviation and decorating!

20. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

When I was growing up, wallpaper wasn’t fashionable at all, but modern day wallpaper is textured, much thicker, and the printing quality is far better than the shite churned out in the 90s.

John Lewis has some really nice quality wallpapers.