1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Decluttering is liberating

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by pixelpuffin, Aug 25, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

After the eBay fiasco ( re-scammers)
    Charity shops stupid stipulations and finally total time wasters on gumtree...who it seems regardless of how low you price something, they still want it for less!

The result is currently sat on my drive?? Yes, a bright yellow 8 ton skip!
    Spent the past 2 days relentlessly destroying with hammers and grinders 30yrs worth of accumulation. £1000’s of pounds worth of goods now reduced completely useless....and it feels amazing!!
    Clothes, Shoes, Camera gear, Books, power tools, hand tools, garden furniture, house furniture, watches. Excercise equipment, DVDs, cds, unused tv’s, hi-fi’s, old phones, etc etc All completely smashed to pieces.
    Yes, I’ve wasted a ton of money, but I also feel like I’m getting my life back instantly, the house is becoming mine again, the now spartan rooms feel lighter and are being redecorated as each is finally rid of its clutter....it feels absolutely incredible to be finally rid of stuff!! I’ve wanted to do this for so long.. it is truly liberating. To finally let go.

the reason I destroyed everything was to ensure I didn’t change my mind - destruction is final....there’s no going back!!

Has anyone else just dived in and skipped the clutter

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

No, but 13 years ago we shifted to our current house, at the other end of the country, and only moved what we really wanted; then 5 years ago, the house was flooded, and all our possessions went into storage for 3 months. I've still managed to hold on to my cameras, though.

3. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

To save on skip space and subsequent skip hire, best not to destroy the items, because people usually liberate stuff out of the skip. (leave larger items of interest to one side and if they don’t take them, go ahead with your plan.

I’d also take shoes to your nearest ‘shoe bank’
    donate books to the ‘free libraries’ or the take one leave one etc.
    old phones can be sent for cash or similar recycling programs.

Did you try to sell items grouped as job lots?
    I’d imaging someone would take the random unwanted trinkets off your hands for their car boot sale.

“unused TVs”

but why?

I totally get it, because I’ve needed to de clutter (and make tough decisions) my mums house when she was ill, but taking hammers to things seems extreme :D

Greta is cross at you :p

4. pixelpuffin

Greta is too busy.
    In the past I have sold or taken to charity or given away.

But, eBay and gumtree are besieged by scum it seems. Charity shops are a. Complete pain in the ***.

Normally what happens is I make a pile of stuff I don’t want, the longer it sits there, the more I decide to keep it...back to square one and so the cycle begins.

There is absolutely no going back from this! Within seconds of being “kissed” with the hammer it’s use has instantly gone....problem solved;)

As for those who would like it for free, I had to buy, I’m not here to line others pockets...no one ever lined mine. I’m sure that will ruffle a few feathers here. But too many have took the proverbial, now I’ll give them nothing. If they want they can buy or go without. My days of giving stuff away are long gone.

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Often the best way to declutter is to move house. I prefer minimalism, unfortunately the rest of the family do not.

My wife and youngest daughter are currently trying to declutter using eBay etc and I am amazed what people will buy.

My loft is absolutely full, a skip or several visits to the recycling centre is required but I would try to recycle as much as possible.

6. pixelpuffin

I did sell a lot of stuff 3yrs ago via eBay raised over £15k!! Which cleared all our debt (new door and windows, car loan, overdraft etc)
    Have no debt now except that PayPal loan for the 100-400 last payment this week (yay). We cleared the debt due to the uncertainty with brexit!! however I’m done with eBay, haven’t gone near it since I was last scammed. Gumtree is awful, just full of owt for nowt types. I’ll have no chuck with free loaders, despise them with a passion.
    sod em’ I’ll smash it all up knowing that it’s no use to no one - they can buy their own...I had too!!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  7. retrofit

Can we see the carnage?

awaits “that’s a rare camera worth £10000 before you took the hammer to it” :D

8. retrofit

“Has anyone else just dived in and skipped the clutter“

Yes.

That said, I try not to accumulate clutter either, and I don’t hang on to sentimental (to some) objects if they have no purpose or true value.

Most the stuff in storage at home belongs to my wife, with the mother in law adding to it.

“take this 4 foot tall teddy, it was yours when you were 5 years old”

now we got a giant blue teddy taking up space in our loft, and it’s probably flammable or made of asbestos.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Very hard work! I’m surprised the skip company agreed to take it. Sorting it for recycling is going to be a pain for them.

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Our place never gets cluttered. We put things away. If there is no away, we sell it, or dump it. Simple as that. The flow of stuff out always matches the flow of stuff in.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  11. pixelpuffin

Yes, there were a list of items I couldn’t put in. Batteries, electrical items, chemicals, paint, light tubes etc etc
    As luck would have it it’s black bin collection today. So the used portable DVD player, small 15” flat screen tv all got put in black bags and into black bin.
    We have a old oak writing bureau in the hallway. Listed it for £75, then £50, £30 someone offered £10!! The oak panels are worth £10 to me. So knocked of the drawer fronts, side panels the rest was skipped. A waste I agree, but I’ll make something during the dark winter months in the soon-to-be decluttered garage.
    we had a bank of ikea billy bookcases in the dining room I’ve discarded the bulk of books, then modified a few bookcases to fit under the stairs - pushed back upto the wall- that was fun cutting down the tops at a angle to squeeze in tight. The rest was skipped. my only possessions that have so far escaped are my canon dslrs and canon lenses, flash guns plus my MT SAK collection. Everything else is at risk :D

I am determined that by the end of my 2wk vacation (supposed to have gone to Portugal) the house will have a completely different vibe as we head into a very long and isolated winter.

Last winter almost drove me insane. Coming home from work in the dark, no where to go in the house due to clutter, garage bursting with stuff. I tend not to watch TV. Don’t like soaps, quiz shows, cookery programmes... they all bore me to tears. Every winter it always feels longer than the last...utterly depressing.
    This year they’ll be no Halloween, no bonfires, no Christmas markets etc due to COVID and social distancing. It’s gonna be hell!!
    I want my home to feel as light and airy as possible. That to me has a value that far exceeds the realistic value of my clutter and the time and effort that it would take to sell on.
    At 51 life’s too short!
    If I feel I’ve gone too far and chucked something I regret....I’ll buy another.

Time to let go and move on.

After all, it’s only stuff.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  12. John King

John King Well-Known Member

What are the - 'stipulations' asked for by charity shops? They won't take junk, 'cos they are not recyclers, that is usually done by the local authority.

6 years ago I moved from my previous property into one with less storage and would love to get rid of a lot of what some may class as junk, but to me bulk of the stuff is made up from my DIY decorating bits and pieces. I am loath to pay someone to do a job when I can do it myself. My garage is home for my motorcycles, but also for the larger bits and pieces, ladders, supporting planks for the higher places and three boxes of other DIY equipment. I don't need it every day, but I still have to store it for when I do.

I also have a proliferation of darkroom equipment built up over the years and would love to sell some of it off but it is of some value so I am not simply giving it away.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm not at all sure i understand the mentality of "I won't accept less than it's worth, I would rather smash it up, deprive others of the ability to use it, and make sure I pay for it to end up in landfill instead of being recycled."
    Actually, that's not true. I REALLY don't understand it.

I do understand the frustrations with buyers and with charity shops, I really do, but still... I would personally rather give stuff away to someone undeserving than smash it up and send it to landfill. Just seems an appalling waste of resources to me.

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I remember when I got rid of all the clothes I didn't wear. My wife was fuming when she got home. :D

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Indeed. I see no point in such waste and wanton destruction of items that have further potential use. I currently have a decent furniture item on Ebay which may well not sell, if it doesn't it will go to a charity shop or on Freecycle.

Benchista and DaveS like this.
  16. pixelpuffin

Bitter memories
    In the past I gave expensive items away only later to find they had sold them.
    Re-charity shops - we loaded the car with books, clothes, nic-nacs etc nothing was junk, all was perfect condition it was just no longer needed. Drove to the charity shop and was told appointments only and that there was a list of items they only wanted. Drove home via the dump site, unloaded the car. When home ordered the skip!!

I used to be generous to a fault, would often give people things I could easily have sold for lots of money. But bitter memories have now changed my views - sorry. I’ll line nobody’s pockets.
    Lesson learnt.
    You may or may not agree, that’s your choice as is mine to do as I wish.

Never again.

skips almost full!!
    Rest will go to the dump site

Feels fantastic, I now see it as it was just clutter that owned me, dictated how and where I stored it. Constantly buying bigger storage boxes over the years to store “stuff” is ridiculous. The 2 rooms that have been revamped have spurred is on. All those years wasted moving junk from one place to another!! Crazy

I wish I’d done this years ago.
    Anyway, back to work......

Catriona likes this.
  17. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

When I moved house the first time it was from a 5 bed Edwardian terrace where I'd lived for 58 years to a 2 bed bungalow. The amount of decluttering was horrendous. I lost count of the number of times I took stuff to the charity shops, books, clothes (Mostly mum's, but some of mine), and glassware / China.
    Loads of furniture got dumped, because nobody would take it, and that did upset me, less because of the sentimental value, than because it was reasonable stuff (G-plan mostly), and someone else could have made use of it. But I was told "nobody wants brown stuff these days". Not brown but honey coloured light oak.
    I would much rather give something away free gratis to someone who could use it than chuck it in landfill.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I would much rather give something away than destroy it, with the exception that if I really didn't want something to be reused I might dismantle it. Not the same in any way as destroying something.

As for what amounts to wanton destruction; we brought nothing into the world and we can take nothing out of it, everything we have is on loan. So, since it wasn't "mine" in the first place what right do I have to deprive someone else of something I can no longer use or simply don't want?

I am uncomfortable with breaking up things that are worn out and cannot be reused by any other means, I accept that it has to be done but I don't have to like it.

DaveS likes this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well done!
    Been there, done it, pleased now.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

When I give something away it is entirely up to the recipient what they do with it, I really don't want to know.

Charity shops know what they can sell, what they can't sell will have to be taken to the tip. Deliveries by appointment only also makes sense, I contacted one of our local charity shops and they explained that there needed to be somebody on duty to sort the donations and the appointment was to save me from wasting my time if there wasn't anyone available. I thought that was entirely reasonable.