1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

December, 2008 - FirstView Comments

Discussion in 'FirstViews [Archive]' started by Chris Cool, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

This thread is for comments arising from the December 2008 picture thread.

2. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Spangler's Suspension Bridge

Where abouts in Aylesbury is that? I'm over that way tomorrow so may have a peak.

3. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

Re: Spangler's Suspension Bridge

Hi, its by the railway station. For all its grandure and 35 metre spire it doesn't span a mighty river but merely a brook, less than 2 metres wide, four railway tracks and Morrisons car park! The purpose? It's a footpath and cycle track. It replaces a traditional railway footbridge which, due to the apparent low standard of literacy in the area, doesn't deter idiots cycling across it to the detriment of pedestrians because they can't read the "No cycling" signage. It seems that the local council would rather spend millions of pounds building a new bridge that enforce the "no cycling" rule and slap some spot fines on the illiterate numpties! :mad:

Andrew

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

make 'em wear orange vests with cyclist emblazoned on it...and also make them have lights that work as well...

...btw I'm a cyclist and I have lights that work..but as a motorist as well I see too many stupid cyclists riding without lights and also wearing dark clothing....

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Ban cycling so everybody has to drive everywhere? Cyclist are taxpayers too and there's lots of them.

Wish I'd taken that pic at lunchtime of folk walking in the cycle lane and not in the walking side of the otherwise empty path. Believe it or not pedestrains don't always pay attention to signs either.....I call those people dodgem poles :D

6. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

Sorry Andy, I'm not taking a pop at proper cyclists who respect the rules of the road but the idiots who completely disregard signs prohibiting cycling. The footbridge refered to is clearly signed "cyclists dismount" and has a barrier arrangement to encourage this. This bridge is a popular thoroughfare and is not wide enough to safely accomodate the mounted cyclist and pedestrians. The new bridge is specifically designed to accomodate both and is part of an Aylesbury wide cycle network.
    I am very much a member of the pro cycling lobby and own, and use, a selection of bicycles myself but I certainly do not cycle where it is prohibited.

Regards, Andrew

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

No worries Andrew....you get people that do what they like whether they're cyclist or pedestrains or anything else. If the new bridge is being built to cope with the needs of the users then it sounds like a good thing :cool:

Anyway, I nipped out for a smoke and got a pic of a pedestrian walking in the cycle lane. Anybody wishing to take a pop at folk not doing as they are told will now need photographic evidence to accompany their complaint ;)

8. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Thanks Andrew

I didn't make the connection between that and all the building work that's been going on around Morrisons.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sar: bet you're buzzing!

Well it's a great shot, but that seems a little bit too far to go for me! :D

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Re: Sar: bet you're buzzing!

probably kept himself buzzy....

11. sar

sar Well-Known Member

Re: Sar: bet you're buzzing!

as the missis had the car today had to make do with the garden & i had to build the hive mark 1 was to small mark 2 is in planning

12. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

Re: Sar: great shot

That IS an excellent shot of a blue tit, well worth the wait!

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Re: Sar: great shot

worthy of a place in th'exhibition lounge...well done

14. Tickhiller

Tickhiller Well-Known Member

Re: Shall I do it....!

I need to know, did you do it?

15. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Nokia N95 8GB

A man of taste I see :cool:

16. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Re: Nokia N95 8GB

Indeed. I could have had the N96, but it was essentially the same phone with extra functions that I don't need and that eat up the battery. I also got a better tariff by choosing the older model.

It's a lovely piece of kit and I think I may use it for January's First View! :D

17. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

I used mine for todays first view :eek: :D

18. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

I have had one a while now, if you are on the net a lot the N95 will chew it's way through a battery very quickly. To make it an effective hand warmer you could turn on WiFi and Blue Tooth as well. :)

19. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Very rarely use it on the net if I'm honest, which is why it drove me mad for the first day as it was constantly trying to finds a WLAN and it took me that long to work out how to turn the facility off! Let's just say the battery ran down very quickly!

20. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

I considered going back to Nokia but the last one I had, an E-51, was not that good at all! I need a good phone for browsing so i handed it in to C-EX and got a used sony ericsson K800i which I use now. the camera aint brill for a sony ericcssonn but it works for web, with opera downloaded.
    Tempted to try a Blackberry.Would love a phone I could use without having to download Opera mini!