1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death of Small Sensors

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by ianwaite, Feb 9, 2013.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I won't be happy until we have carbotanium cameras. Carbon fibre is sooo last century :eek:

.....maybe Sony should have invited Mr Pagani to pimp up a NEX instead of Hasselblad :)

2. Redsnapper65

Redsnapper65 New Member

Not that you would notice on something the size of an aircraft, but also an aircraft body is very flat, where as the camera viewfinder for instance has very steep angles and resin would chip easily!

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Take it from me there is no shortage of right angle edges on a 787

4. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Weeeell, here's another thought: the deep body of the new small Canon reinforces my recent thinking that movie cameras & still cameras may continue to merge or morph into one another. The likelihood could be that with small sensors, we may not in future be shooting video with a stills camera but stills with a video camera.

Thus, the sensor size under threat then would be full-frame. :confused:

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Where I have problem is AP resolution tests.

Take the Lumix FZ200 a very small sensor bridge. Smaller sensor than I like.

Look up the resolution tests

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compacts/129351/10/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200-review

The figures are 100 has 24, 200 has 24, 400 has 22 and 800 has 22.

Now take a dSLR with a APS sensor the Canon 1100D

The figures for that are 100 has 24, 400 has 22 and 800 has 22.

To avoid any maker bais here are the figures for a Nikon D300s

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/dslrs/129203/7/nikon-d300s-review

It seems to hold 22 through out in raw mode.

On a FF sensor you get 26 at most settings

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/dslrs/129299/7/nikon-d3s-review

So does mean if you take certain images on the FZ200 you be hard pressed to spot them against a similar shot on the Canon 1100D or the Nikons? Say print at A3 300ppi with borders.

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Your problem? You will have to take it up with AP although I suggest that you may have answered your own question in the final para above. The key test as ever will be a print.

About ten years ago, pro wedding videographers were starting to offer prints - even complete stills coverage - on jobs but to a limit of 8"x6", which for many weddings was the standard album print size. Admittedly this was from video cameras costing around £30K. :eek: But that was their standard kit for a high quality job. They had already 'bought' it. The maker had already bolted in the Frame Capture facility. You cannot blame them for using it.

About five years ago, it became possible for a stills photographer to shoot broadcast quality video on his still camera costing approx £2K although they would have had to shell out as much if not more for all the extra gizmos needed for good production.

Again, about ten years ago, video capability was made available in compact cameras. My 6/7yr old LX2 has it. Every few years, the video capability - even in quite modest, mid-range cameras - has kept pace with HMGs desire for us to fill Treasury coffers by going out and buying bigger & bigger (& better?) TVs. If your compact doesn't shoot more than 720p, these days, then there's a fighting chance it's a supermarket cheapie. :eek:

As someone observed earlier here or another Thread, most people are not making A3 or A2 prints or even, any prints at all from their captures. So, if you are looking at your stills only on a computer plus a TV or tablet, perhaps also entering the DPI comps at the photo club and posting on-line, then the sensor size that is probably under most pressure - sentence of death, even - is the full-format, and larger, ones.

The camera with the latest sensors in another ten years may well not be long and pointy (like a Broadcast Hi-8) nor wide and deep and flat (like an EOS 1v) but round and curvy with both capabilities and fixed 50x zooms.

A Martin Luther King moment: I have seen the future ... !

Or maybe not ... :confused:

Discuss. :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I know nothing at all about video but looking at the BBC Approved Camera List for HD I see mainly a mixture of Panasonic and Sony - no mention of dSLRs. :confused:

http://www.colonelduck.co.uk/glossary/bbcapprovedcameralist.aspx

9. ianwaite

Many news interviews are now shot on DSLRs, typically if someone is being interviewed by SKY or BBC there will be several others around borrowing the interview for other news networks using this method.

Ian

10. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

The trouble with AP's "lens resolution tests" of the last few years, since the sad passing of the greatly missed Geoffrey Crawley, is they don't actually tell us very much. We see some lines on a chart that get closer together, and a number, together with an ISO rating, and sometimes an aperture and focal length. We're never told if this is cropped from the centre of a frame, the edge, or a corner.

Most ultrazooms perform better at some focal lengths than others, and often are a lot better at the cantre than in the corners. Some top quality prime lenses are almost indistinguishable from centre to corner, even wide open, and many show minimal variation when stopped down a couple of stops. But the pretty pictures give no idea of this, though fortunately the reviewers do often (but not always) say something about this in the text. There are also things like distortion, chromatic aberration, and vignetting in addition to resolution, which only rarely seem to get a mention these days.

These days, for lens information, I have to go to websites like SLRgear or Lenstip.com, or for integrated lens cameras, DPreview or Imaging Resource. I still refer back to my pike of old APs for Mr Crawley's reviews of older lenses, particularly the ones after the mag's re-vamp after Damien became editor.

So the answer to your question is "No. This doesn't tell you much about whether you can tell the difference between shots from an FZ200 an an 1100D. You need to go to a proper technical review for that".

AP's reviews do often tell us more than most review websites about general handling, features and details of build, however.

Do you think that if we all asked IPC very nicely, they'd give AP the budget for a real optical testbench? :)

11. ianwaite

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

(apparently that means LOL in Japanese :D)

14. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Literally - JOKE.

Wonder if a Japanese joke is funnier than a German joke ?

15. ianwaite

Don't know but it would be fun watching them try to tell jokes to each other