1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death of Small Sensors

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by ianwaite, Feb 9, 2013.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Seems logical that the manufacturer should know more about the raw format than anyone else - I will give it a try, thanks.

Roger

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Feel free to let us know how you get on :)

To me getting DPP free with the camera is a bit like buying a Blu-Ray player and getting a free Lexicon processor ......well maybe....almost....or something like that:eek:

3. RogerMac

I will but it will not be for a few days as I have a lot of record images to take tomorrow and selecting those and getting them onto a google earth map (not to mention distributing to various members of the family) is likely to take more than five minutes. JPGs should be fine for that exercise but I will take RAW as well just in case.

Roger

4. RogerMac

Just an update on the raw files - The version of FastStone that I have on my portable CAN handle CR2 files, buth full size and thumnails, just that the version on the main machine (presumably older) that does not.

Took a lot of pictures this afternoon on our family historical tour, and (just in case you are not yet bored with my new toy) here are my impressions, dislikes first:

1. I thought that rim pinch lens caps went out with the arc, I must order a center pinch one.
    2. Camera strap is far too short to go "over the head and under an arm" which is my prefered way of working, and the non-slip ability is distinctly dubious - it has already been replaced by a longer stickier one.
    3. The levels feature is far inferior to the one I am used to - that alone will keep my E5 in use for an important percentage of my work.

So much for the bad, good points are almost everything else

A. As I said in another post GPS position recording is a game changer, an absolute must when out and about. To a lesser extent I think that the logging feature (so a map can be produced as to where one went) will be very useful, I have not really presented the results of this yet.
    B. The ability to use high ISO for dark interiors is very relaxing.
    C. It goes without saying that the much bigger sensor gives better IQ, both in higher DR and higher ISO, that's the main reason one buys FF
    D. I have not installed or used it yet but the remote control feature is the main reason I bought it.
    E. It gives me access to a wide range of extras at competative prices. I think I will buy a 50mm f1.8 fairly soon

And one point that may be either an advantage or a disadvantage:

When having lunch in a pub I left my things in the care of my companion whilst I went to the loo, the waiter came to clear the table and commented to her that it was a very nice camera.

That's my first thoughts - I am very pleased but it is not a 100% camera, probably just as well as I remain fond of my old friends.

Roger

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

For shooting interiors? The 50/2.5 macro would be my preference out the Canon 50's if drawing accuracy and edge to edge sharpness is more desirable than the wide aperture. Unfortunately it's more like the price of the 50/1.4 than the 50/1.8 though.

6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Sorry, can't view the pics - be interested to see if you can post them in the Thread.

7. RogerMac

Thanks for the advice, and it will be a week or so (I have a lot to digest anyway) before I do anything but the main attraction of the 1.8 was that it was small, light and at a price that is almost disposable.

P.S I have now got the map utility running on yesterdays walk - really cool

Roger

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

???????
    didn't post any pics...not my job to advertise AP (although I did)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The pics posted on photobucket and Flickr?

If you are viewing them them on a work's computer with a firewall which prevents access to those sites posting them in the thread won't help I'm afraid.

However, you're not really missing much......Roger posted pics of a test chart shot using his 24-105mm and some folk suggested it might be a duff lens, Ian repeated the experiment with his 24-105mm and came up with much the same result and just for fun of it I checked to see if the older, lighter and cheaper 28-105mm looked as bad but it somehow managed to produce a much more acceptable result. Or at least that's what I see.

Perhaps the most interesting thing is that the 24-105mm is a "pro" L series lens which costs about £600 and the 28-105mm is just a "consumer" lens and costs about £250.

10. RogerMac

Mine was duff but the problem was dirty lens contacts, and not focussing correctly combined with very small DOF for FF sensors. It is fine now that the contacts have been cleaned.

Roger

11. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

Test shots

1D MK3
    [​IMG]

5D
    [​IMG]

60D
    [​IMG]

Samsung NX210
    [​IMG]

The three Canons were all taken with 24-105mm L IS USM, The Samsung CSC has been included as an interesting contrast. All were taken from the same distance from the test card, therefore at equivalent focal lengths at FF.

In my opinion the Full Frame cameras resolve the colours and shades better, but show slight distortion from the lens towards the corners. The 60D gets nearly no distortion due to the crop factor and is generally sharper IMHO cross the image but doesn't resolve colours and shades quite as well. The Samsung using it's kit lens, does well but falls slightly short of the three Canons across sharpness, colour and shades IMHO.

Regards
    Ian

12. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

A Nikon full frame would probably top the lot! :D

13. ianwaite

If your so sure, you could do the test yourself!

14. 0lybacker

The 'works' computer is all mine! I'm da boss!!

No, seriously, I was shut out by Flickr for some reason :( although I checked in via a Yahoo account.

15. 0lybacker

Sorry, in my haste to spend as little time on the PC that day, I must have clicked on your re-post of DaftBiker's links. And then re-posted the re-post. Ooops. Hmmmn ... a useful illustration that! ;):)

16. RogerMac

I believe that there is a new format test chart in this weeks AP (but mine is on my doormat and I will not see it till next Tuesday) So I suggest that we start over using the new chart and invite everyone to participate. Perhaps a new thread for test charts would be a good idea. It could be very useful resource in the future, I for one would love to see some results for the Canon primes.

Roger

17. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Nice idea, I like to see some MFT against APS and FF, especially older APS against new MFT to see if they can offer a replacement.

full size links so we can a really good look.

Of course pixel count might be a issue when comparing.

18. ianwaite

Ok Im quite happy to reshoot using the new charts for the cameras I own, happy to give full size links, anyone else wants to do the same whatever cameras and sensor size, that would be great! Lets really test the differences. Lets see what sensor size and age of sensor makes a difference, may the best sensor win!

Regards
    Ian

19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I suspect my 24mm f/2.8 would be in the same sort of ball-park as the shot I got from my 28-105mm earlier (not brilliant but not bad enough to make me want to replace the lens in a hurry). My 90mm on the other hand is pretty much ideal for photographing test charts....I reckon all the other Canon primes I've tried would fall between those two extremes.

PS. when photographing these charts make sure the subject is as flat as possible and align the camera carefully - if there's converging verticals at the edge of the frame you won't be doing sharpness in the corners any favours. I'm sure there's more to photographing test charts than that but hopefully it'll help level the playing field a bit for what is being suggested here.

20. ianwaite