1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death of Small Sensors

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by ianwaite, Feb 9, 2013.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Thanks for the thought but at the moment I am concentrating my thoughts on night time photography plus geo-tagging and am unlikely to make a major purchase until that's over. Anyway I already have a most excellent close up set up, down to a field of view of 36mm, which is enough for the moment

Roger

2. RogerMac

I have just taken and viewed my first image using geo-tagging. I think that I am already addicted.

Roger

3. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

It's brilliant if you have say Aperture 3 - it puts the pin in the map automatically.

4. RogerMac

I have been using FastStone and that puts the pin in as well. I have a son in law who is into family history and toward the end of the week I (aided by one of my cousins) am due to take him on a tour of the urban village where our family used to live. It will be absolutely perfect to get the the results interacting with google earth.

Roger

5. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

Thanks to Roger sending me a test card to use (many thanks Roger) here are test shots using EOS 1DS MK3, EOS 5D and 60D using the 24-105mm L IS USM. All shots under same lighting conditions, from the same physical distance from the test card.
    1DS MK3: http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a636/ianwaite/1DSMK3_zps200f9dfc.jpg
    5D: http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a636/ianwaite/5D_zps9ec9d26a.jpg
    60D:http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a636/ianwaite/60D_zps760d16c8.jpg

I found the results interesting and to not influence your thoughts Ill keep mine to myself FOR NOW! Let me know what you guys think, It is an interesting mix with an old FF, a newish FF and a newish APS-C.

regards
    Ian

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  6. ianwaite

This doesn't appear to have worked and not sure why right now, will re-post correctly as soon as I work it out

Ian

7. RogerMac

Its probably that the address is too long to use as a direct link. Try highlighting a word or two then clicking the globe symbol above the message and putting the address there

Roger

8. ianwaite

Sorry still not working

regards
    Ian

9. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

10. ianwaite

Thanks to Roger sending me a test card to use (many thanks Roger) here are test shots using EOS 1DS MK3, EOS 5D and 60D using the 24-105mm L IS USM. All shots under same lighting conditions, from the same physical distance from the test card.
    1DS MK3:
    5D:
    60D

I found the results interesting and to not influence your thoughts Ill keep mine to myself FOR NOW! Let me know what you guys think, It is an interesting mix with an old FF, a newish FF and a newish APS-C.

regards
    Ian

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Don't suppose you have a 28-105mm lying around?

I don't have the AP test chart anymore but printed a bit of a chart out on my cheap and nasty 3-in-1 A4 printer and tried my 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM on a 5D which had been left lying around.......

Before lens correction.

After lens correction.

12. ianwaite

Sorry don't have one!

Ian

13. RogerMac

Thanks Ian and Roger (the other one) for getting those charts up - after seeing them I was on the verge of sending mine back but I cleaned the lens contacts and played around with the contrast etc. settings and am now happy - so I am keeping it.

One final question, I can not see how to set raw recording - both the manual and the screen say that the arrows adjust the JPGs and the wheel sets RAW but on my model both the wheel and arrows move just the JPG setting. Is there a secret button that I have to press to unlock the raw capability?

Roger

14. ianwaite

If its the same menu system as the 60D, I think it is, but could be wrong! When in select quality menu, the dial on the back selects JPG quality and this surprised me the wheel on the top just behind trigger button selects the raw quality/switches it on.

Hope this is the same as the 60D and answers the question

regards
    Ian

15. RogerMac

That's it - I was trying the wheel around the "set" button". Many thanks

Roger

16. ianwaite

Me too wasted hours working that one out

regards
    Ian

17. RogerMac

After all that FastStone does not yet support the 6D raw format and I understand that aperture does not either - so I will just have to wait patiently

Roger

18. ianwaite

Yes but you can work the raw files in canons supplied software then got to aperture, I use iPhoto (free with mac operating software) it will also let you process 6D Raw files. Im not sure if your on mac or pc.

regards
    IAn

19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

freecharts in next weeks AP

20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

DPP will probably do it better anyway. Certainly I prefer the free Canon software over everything else I've tried - not because of the sometimes clumsy interface or restricted feature set but because I think it produces better results. (eg: noise is less smeary, tones less blocked up and the lens correction feature gets it right with minimal faffing).