1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death of Small Sensors

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by ianwaite, Feb 9, 2013.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I think we will see such a product say 2014/15. EVF should hit 3 million dots by then.

Certainly see better Lumix G versions probably even one this year maybe with 2 million dot EVF.

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

As for the thread debate. It's a crystal ball discussion.

We all come from it at different directions because I believe we have different requirements for making acceptable prints etc. Also different size wallets. :D :p

No one died. The planet did not explode.

Time will prove if the market moves the way some think it will or the other way that other say.

Of course if it moves against what some are currently using that could be upsetting.

But that is market forces. :rolleyes:

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Some have approached the discussion from a more rational, independent direction, with no particular bias, thinking about commercial implications, etc.

Which makes a lot of what some have posted, P, {no names, no pack drill ;)} somewhat nonsensical and rather undermines the OPs desire for a debate on the subject! :eek::D

4. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

1. This forum - and all others - would be redundant if we all agreed with each other!

2. Having said that there is no reason why disagreement shouldn't be polite & respectful.

3. There are a couple of posts in this thread which are IMHO way OTT. I'd have complained - not about the content but about the way in which it was expressed - except that I'm not a moderator but one of the posters involved is.

5. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

Indeed, there'd be nothing to talk about if we all agreed but this thread has gone beyond that at times IMVHO. I think it's partly a man thing... some men get very... excited... about things like cars, cameras, HiFi, claw hammers... whatever... and some almost seem to see an opposing view as a threat to their manhood to be ridiculed and abused so that it quickly disappears. Personally I find this distasteful.

If I read that someone wants to buy a Canon rather than a Nikon or believes that FF will rule and MFT will die I don't fear that my manhood will fall off and I therefore feel comfortable talking about it (talking about the camera issue, that is - not my manhood) and I even often manage not to ridicule or abuse :D

Anyway. I hope smaller form and smaller format gear survives :D

I took this the other day. It was a miserable day but my G1 and legacy lens were a joy to use...

[​IMG]

PS. It looks a bit soft here, a product of Photobucket I think. It looks sharp on my screen.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  6. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

Some people get carried away and yes at times it did get close to nuclear war. However I certainly learned a lot about other peoples thoughts on the matter and the technologies involved, I'd like to think others did the same and maybe some people may have changed their opinions as well. Overall in proved to be a hot topic and went well as shown in the number of responses and views of the thread.

Regards
    Ian

P.S. I still go back to film on occasions, it will be even sadder when that finally dies

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have just bought a FF Canon - really to do some night time photography that my existing kit is just not able to offer. However I have just tested it against my existing four thirds kit (2 year old sensor, not the latest one) and I have no doubt that at normal ISO levels the IQ of the FT is just as good at the centre and better at the corners.

Judge for yourselves

Canon at f5.6

Olympus at f5.6

With that sort of capability I really hope that FF and crop sensors can exist side by side - they certainly will both always have a place in my camera bag

Roger

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'll drink to that...well maybe later ;)

And whilst I haven't updated this in a while out of the 67 shots I have in that set only 2 were shot on a full frame camera(1 if we're not counting film!). 12 of them were shot on a compact I didn't know the sensor size of and the rest were shot on Canon APS-C.

Death of small sensors?
    [​IMG]

I think it's pretty safe to say that one is dead anyway:( That compact I liked so much turned out to have a sensor not much bigger than a small screw head:eek: (dust included for scale :p)

9. ianwaite

I now use APS-C and FF, the APS-C purely to give me extra reach. Both DSLR size I'm afraid , I find CSC and Bridge difficult to handle. Which Canon lens did you use it looks blurred to me across the whole image, maybe a glass issue rather than sensor.

regards
    Ian

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Yikes.....standard zoom on the Canon?

11. ianwaite

Yep looks like you killed that one!

Ian

12. RogerMac

yes - the 24-105mm constant f4 which has a good reputation.

Roger

13. ianwaite

I'm surprised, I don't get that kind of blur out of mine, I don't have a test chart, but will do a similar thing between my 1DS Mk3 and 60D using the 24-105mm L on both. I'll post it in next couple of days for you to look at. Your 24-15 isn't an early one is it? they did have problems early on and are subject to a recall for free mods by Canon.

regards
    Ian

14. RogerMac

I am sure it is a glass issue. Perhaps a trifle unfair as the Canon at 5.6 is only one stop down from its max. aperture whereas the Oly is two stops down, might be a different story if I was prepared to use f11. However Oly have justified the FT system for many years as being easier to design good glass for.

Roger

15. RogerMac

Only arrived today

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

FWIW I've never been that impressed with it.....or the older 28-105 or 24-70 for that matter. They do the job if I need a zoom lens but that's about it for me. I'm more likely to carry one as a backup than use it!

One thing to bear in mind with these test is that the full frame lens will be at a much higher magnification than the FT lens so you should probably expect a bigger difference on a subject that's fairly close (like a test chart filling the frame) than with a distant subject so both lenses are at, or at least very close to, infinity focus

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I was going to say that I wasn't entirely surprised that the corners were sharper on the smaller sensor simply because of the greater depth of field from the shorter focal length. I seems however that others consider that there may be a lens problem with the FF Canon.

Personally, I think there are too many sensor formats and a rationalisation is overdue. I would like to think that one of the smaller sensors will go but which one I wouldn't like to guess but 4/3 is the one least favoured by the major players.

18. RogerMac

FWIW I have just tested the old 28-90mm on the new camera and that is a LOT worse.

Ian

I have two copies of the test chart so if you want to send me a PM with a snail mail address I will post one to you.

Roger

Edit: I think I am begenning to understand why AP only publish sharpness tests from the centre of the frame

19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I can't remember if I did a frame filling shot of the AP test chart with my 90mm and my old boy's 5D2 and unfortunately my online RAWs only go back to May 2011 and I shot it in the April of that year so I can't check easily.

I did however find some full res beastie shots from the 5D2 with my 65mm on Flickr if you want a look.....here's a link to a small version of a shot that happens to have some stuff that's in reasonable focus in the corners. If you click the link to the original size from there you'll get the full res version but be aware it's the best part of 20MB....it's probably straight out of DPP and I probably didn't even bother with any lens correction before converting to JPEG and uploading :eek:

And talking of the MP-E....not fancy treating yourself? Could really help get your money's worth out of that new investment;);)

20. ianwaite

Can recommend the MP-E 65 to anyone, lovely lens!

Ian