1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Fuji

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by NormBoy, Nov 13, 2001.

1. NormBoy

NormBoy Active Member

Has anyone else had problems with the Fuji Finepix 4900? Mine occasionally locks up -- goes completely dead. The only way to restart everything is to take out and replace the battery. I've just spent a week in Madeira. I shot about 400 pictures in 640x480 for burning onto CD. The camera locked up at least once. Is this a software fault ? Is it common to all 4900s or do I have a faulty model ? The camera is still under guarantee.

NORMAN

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Doesn't sound too good to me. Return it!

Nick NRIPN

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

To be more precise, it doesn't sound as though it is of "satisfactory quality" - a "reasonable" person wouldn't expect to have to deal with such a problem (quote maks indicate key phrases in English law!), and so you should take it back whence it came and demand a refund.

Nick NRIPN

4. NormBoy

NormBoy Active Member

Thanks for your help Nick. That's just what I'll do. I'll let you know how I get on.

NORMAN

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Excellent - good luck!

Nick NRIPN

6. NormBoy

NormBoy Active Member

The Fuji freezing seems to be a common " feature. " Apparently it can be cured by taking the battery out if the camera is not to be used for
    a long period as the manual recommends. I'm going to try taking the battery out at night while I'm on a shoot and see if that helps although I do tend to shoot all day and charge the battery at night. I've e-mailed Fuji about the problem and await a reply. See the link below for further info.

http://search.dpreview.com/forums/search.asp?query=freeze&forum=1012

NORMAN

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's amazing what "features" they can build into cameras these days! My Olympus Camedia 3000Z has a similar "feature" of being able to make the SmartMedia card unreadable when it feels like it - very handy. Although I have developed a fix for this - do exactly the opposite of what the manual tells you!

Nick NRIPN

8. NormBoy

NormBoy Active Member

The joys of being an early-ish adopter !!!!

Norman

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Indeed!
    BTW, if you can't live with it, you should ask for your money back. I know these problems are widespread, but they shouldn't be, and it's really not what you've forked out good money for.

Nick NRIPN