1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

De-cluttering

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by pixelpuffin, Aug 16, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I’d appreciate some real stories from you lot who have decluttered your lives

I have 3 main areas
    Tools ( garage )
    Collections (SAKs & MTs) approx 700
    Camera gear (all canon) few compacts

I turned 51 at the start of the year, out of my prime heading fast towards the setting sun ( Hate it)
    The 3 of us live in a very spacious house, of which “ I “ have managed to overfill with clutter.
    I gave away 2 car fulls of tools and wot nots (£1000’s) to a work colleague who was just starting out with his first home with his partner - felt great.
    My canon kit can sit inside 2 plastic boxes. Easily less than a 2ft cube size wise.
    The collection of SAKs and MTs has skyrocketed in value - simply staggering!! It will only keep climbing ( heirloom to only child)

The problem is where to store it all. Garage and loft are poor choices due to massive temperature changes. Don’t want to fill the spare bedroom with my stuff.

I absolutely yearn for a spartan garage, empty loft, spacious uncluttered wardrobes etc etc

c’mon give me your experiences of how decluttering completely transformed your life..

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine got rid of all his vinyls, cd's and books. He now has an I pad, which does the same job.

Catriona likes this.
  3. pixelpuffin

Just to add
    The living room is L shaped, I suggested an idea to my better half that I could easily convert this into rectangle and create a windowless study which would then offer storage for my stuff.....she almost burst into tears and walked off!!

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

My kids went away to university and never came back. That's what you call decluttering.

Trannifan, AndyTake2, ascu75 and 6 others like this.
  5. pixelpuffin

Lol, mine has “just” become a teenager - so that stops that plan for the moment.

MJB likes this.
  6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I like that. Ours keep coming back!

MJB likes this.
  7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Couldn't live without clutter. While tidy is nice for a while it gets boring. Long live entropy. You can't deny kipple.

We had "professional" help at work when management decided that no-one needed more than 3' of shelf space and a desk, everything else to be chucked or filed centrally. I remember that the lady who was helping required everything in the desk drawers to be taken out and then item by item - assigned an action (chuck, file, delegate, do) that did not include keep. Horrendous it was. I think I started with 6 full sized double-door cabinets and 20 old-style filing cabinets and ended with an enormous centrally filed item carefully bar-coded as "miscellaneous" . They used to love me down the archive when I wanted to retrieve something. Curiously they had this big row of full-sized double-door cabinets with everything inside in identical white folders or A4 box files. Totally wrecked my geographic filing system. Give me heaps of stuff and ask me to find something and I'll know what heap it is in. Once it is organised I can't remember. One white file looks just like the next white file.

8. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I try not to get attached to material items, or make a rule of parting with old stuff to make way for my next big purchase.

I try to imagine how useful the things in my life are now, and how relevant these material objects will be in 20 years?

If I haven’t used it for 12 months, can’t sell it, and nobody wants it, then I bin it.

My mum was (now cured:D) a hoarder, I’m talking 30 umbrellas and multiples of things you’d never use, to out of date items you couldn’t use.

4 - 5 skips full of junk (although some of the stuff wasn’t junk, just totally impossible to store/keep it)

My fear is that the stuff I own, will own me:confused:

Catriona likes this.
  9. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but what do these two things mean?

10. pixelpuffin

The last sentence is 100% true, it really does own you, dictates where and how is stored. I need to let go and realise I’m in the next chapter of my life. But...it’s so hard.
    If god forbid I lost everything, then I would definitely live a different life.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Swiss Army Knives and Multi Tools

12. pixelpuffin

SAKs Swiss Army Knives
    MTs Multitools

I began collecting around 9 years ago. Then when Wenger ceased production in 2013 I went ballistic spent £1000’s buying from all over the world. Today the prices are accelerating so fast. Items I paid £50 for are now £300+. Giant knife was £400 now £2-3k
    I have a lot of Wengers some now stupidly rare.
    MT’s are the same I paid £7-70 from UK & USA, some are now selling for 10x that amount.
    I knew the prices would go up, but never like this. New collectors with bigger deeper pockets are emerging wanting to buy the best possible examples....virtually all mine are boxed and never been touched. Hence they need to be stored in optimum condition to preserve them.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  13. pixelpuffin

Just to clarify, I don’t even like knives incase you all think I’m some kind of mall ninja come weekend warrior running around in combats!! Lol

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  14. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

When I was making plans to move to Scotland I decided there was a lot of stuff that needed to go, I was determined to move with just the "essentials"

I have moved a number of times over the years and have come across bags/boxes that I haven't even opened from the previous move, they usually just go straight in the bin.

15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Sell it all and buy gold. Gold is always in demand, SAKs and MTs may be a 30 year fad.

16. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Agree, gold is a good investment

The last 6 months has seen an increase of £264.32 per Troy Ounce

A Troy Ounce today will set you back £1,488.75

17. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I am totally unqualified in this area Loft full Basement full Garage full and me in a wheelchair unable to do anything about it. :confused:
    X Don

18. pixelpuffin

F7A0949A-66E5-4CF4-BE1C-9870BBEDF2C1.jpeg Just to give you some idea....
    I have 2 of these
    One is ex shop demo Mint ( blades all blunt purposely for safety) the other bought new is still sealed in box.
    I paid £350 & £675 respectively
    This seller has no chance of getting that price, but the prices are rising fast, I saw one listed for £10K!!

19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I found out how much things meant to me when I moved house.

Most I gave away (LPs, singles, old acetate, CDs etc with all related equipment)
    Some went to the skip
    Donated a lot to the local library (for retention or sale).
    Furniture to neighbours.
    Clothes to charity shops.

I moved with the minimum to my small haven.
    I miss one or two things, but not most of what I got rid of.

Things are things are mostly status symbols. Do you need them? Do you use them? Does anyone else need them more than you do?
    As they say, you can't take them with you when you die.

John Farrell likes this.
  20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Looks easy to use!

Carrying a full Snap On tool trolley would be easier.

AndyTake2 likes this.