1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Dawlish Air Show 2009 (10<100kb)

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by John_Baker, Aug 20, 2009.

1. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

A couple of the AP gang met up on top of “Togs Hill” near Dawlish – the weather was not perfect, we were treated to a great show by Reds, highlight was them being joined by the Vulcan – a couple of happy snaps...

This is what we came for
    [​IMG]

Bit closer
    [​IMG]

Bomb doors open
    [​IMG]

Reds
    [​IMG]

Closer
    [​IMG]

A fine pair
    [​IMG]

Dawlish
    [​IMG]

There were other things chugging around Hawk
    [​IMG]

Not quite a dragon
    [​IMG]

It was a tad busy on the hill...
    [​IMG]

These are only a couple from the day, may post a couple more later :D

2. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

Super shots there John.

3. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

It is a sight to behold, an airborne Vulcan!

When they flew here a couple of weeks ago the Vulcan was the only plane that frightened the nipper. He loves watching planes ordinarily (we often shop at a supermarket near the airport and have to wait for one to take off/land before we can head for home), but that beast scares him. :(

4. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

The "Dawlish" shot does it for me - puts the display into context rather than the usual closeups.

Any shot with the Vulcan in is good. Hopefully she'll be ok for Shoreham this weekend.

5. John_Baker

I was expecting a flood of other pics - I have just worked a couple more, as the vulcan was the star, a couple more for you...

This is quite nice, air brakes deployed...
    [​IMG]

This is the classic shot
    [​IMG]

I liked this one
    [​IMG]

One final one - top of "Togs Hill" - it was a busy spot with possibly 1,000 plus people on the grassy knoll
    [​IMG]

6. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

will post a ccouple john had to get home first about 8ish, just deleted load of the old perviable, now to see whats left, think i got couple left :D

7. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

Re: Dawlish Air Show 2009 10 =340kb

a few from me today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. John_Baker

Re: Dawlish Air Show 2009 10 from =340kb

Bob – considering you thought you were having major problems they are very good, what are they like full size???

9. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

thanks for compliment john

not tht bad, deleted several think its down to my technique movement!! need to practice panning i think

you said wait see what they like on pc, dont know why i looked at screen today and got hung up about it, dont normally bother because quite often they look crap until you download them

the only pp on these altered exsposure on couple sharpened resized only done small crop on one (found out today i got dirty sensor though)

10. John_Baker

Yeah so did I - big bu**er just in the wrong place :D
    Really pleased the pictures worked, you will have to find another reason to upgrade the lens :D

11. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

That Vulcan is having a busy summer. I believe it'll make an appearance at Bournemouth this weekend also and over the bank holiday weekend will be performing a fly past at the local White Horse Show in Uffington.

I'm thinking about getting up on the ridgeway above the village the afternoon it's due. It could look pretty impressive from side on or even above (if I'm lucky) :)

The last time I saw a Vulcan was at Woodford Air Show in Cheshire some 20-odd years ago.

12. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

The Vulcan is a beautiful aircraft, but can anyone explain why it has camoflage painted on its underside? Is that in case the pilot lands it upside down?

13. John_Baker

Funny you should ask that, I had exactly the same conversation yesterday about wrap-around camo... I found this which covers the details...

14. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Hmmm, it's an interesting point. The one hanging in the Cold War Museum at RAF Cosford appears not to:
    [​IMG]

15. Manofolympus

Manofolympus Well-Known Member

I think the Cosford Vulcan was a "Black Buck" aircraft from the Falklands war. As the black buck operations were flown at medium to high altitude the wrap-around camouflage was deemed unsuitable, and the undersides were repainted in a dark grey.

16. Rustyknight

Rustyknight Well-Known Member

Some great shots from both of you. If I manage to get a few like that from Bournemouth tommorrow I'll be well chuffed! :cool:

17. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

A few from me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Been sifting through mine today but only shrunk one so far.
    I was a bit around the corner from John et al. but had a similar view - we had got there a bit earlier and were settled in a slightly less windy spot. Good to put a few faces to names but will probably have forgotten them next time I see them.

My shot of the Vulcan with its mouth open. Could do with a crop.

[​IMG]

May post more if they're worth it.

19. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

There are some super shots there guys.............looks like you ahd the right sort of weather and a great vantage point aswell................. :cool:

20. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

A few more, shrunken, cropped and sharpenned a touch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]