1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damselfly ID please

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by gray1720, Jun 15, 2020.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Not my usual line of stuff, but this one presented itself somewhere so off the wall I had to take a photo (AND got it sharp hand held!) before we ushered it out of the house.

Thanks! _DSC0051.jpg

2. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

hi, the nearest match to my field guide is a female Demoiselle Agrion (Calopteryx virgo), try googlieing that for further info.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

My guess is female common blue damselfly.

Catriona likes this.
  4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I suspect Martin has it as I think any metallis colour is an artefact of nuking the poor bugger with the flash at a few inches range.

Either way you don't expect to find them on your net curtain! There's been several pairs in our garden the last few days, maybe Catriona's birdbath is attracting them?

5. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Once again I can't disagree with Martin. I'm basing my agreement on the triangular marking on s8. It's not a coenagrion and it's certainly NOT a calopteryx. The calopteryx is absolutely unmistakable with very different wings to any other British Species. If I can quickly find one I'll post it below.

Found one!

upload_2020-6-18_12-8-33.png

MickLL