1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Damaged CF Card

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by PMurrell, Sep 29, 2018.

1. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Just returned from holiday to discover my CF card (Sandisk extreme pro 16gb) is damaged. I managed to upload some images to my laptop but then it froze and will no longer recognise the card (using LR6).

I tried other CF cards and they work fine.

Would it make a difference if i formatted card in camera (D700) and then try to upload on PC again?

Any help appreciated.

Peter

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

DO NOT REFORMAT THE CARD - if you want to get the images off it. There are several card recovery programs. It may be best to start with an open source package like Photorec which can run on various operating systems.

Added: here's a step by step howto for using Photorec: https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Peter,

If you format it you'll lose all the images...

Have you tried a recovery program; or another card reader; or downloading from the camera with the card inside?

(I see that Andrew beat me to it)

Cheers,

R.

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Don't format as it makes recovery more difficult. Do you have a card reader to try? You may need to use recovery software, which should have come with the card.

5. PMurrell

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I have tried to upload direct from the camera and only 19 images out of 219 were uploaded then the following message appeared, "data error (cyclic redundancy check)"

6. Andrew Flannigan

That's unfortunate because saying you've encountered a CRC error is computerese for "there's something wrong but I don't really know what it is". Check out the link to the Photorec Guide and see if it looks like something you can handle. If not come back and perhaps we can think of a different solution.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. PMurrell

Hi Andrew,
    I have downloaded Photorec. I managed to get to the Dos screen and it looks to me that it's pointing to recover items from my hard drives (which i don't want) and i cannot see where the option is to point to the card reader/external data source within the Dos Screen.

in addition Lr6 stated that my files were not imported because they could not be read (total of 73 now. I managed to copy over some directly from the camera).

8. Andrew Flannigan

If you're in DOS then the CF card is going to be the next letter above your hard drives. So if you're currently using C: and D: then your CF card is probably E: or F: depending on whether you have a CD/DVD drive in the case.

9. PMurrell

Just tried another CF card and the program has detected it as well as the hard drive. Put my corrupted CF card back in and Run as Administrator and only the hard drive has come up.

The images are on the card but it now appears dead. Arrghhh..!

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Have you tried Sandisk's own software.
    A CRC error is not a mistery. After each record for the card is prepared then an arithmetical calculation (often just a sum of bytes with leading digits removed is recorded (known as a check sum)) . When you read the file the check sum is checked to verify the integrity of the data. Some CRC systems allow auto correction of several bits The chances are that one record of one file is corrupted. It is possible that a record in the index table to the card is corrupted. Even this is not disastrous. There are multiple copies of that table recorded in the file system.
    The important thing is not to write anything else to the card, and as has already been stated, do not reformat. Switch the tab on the CF card to read only. EDIT That does not apply to CF. It would apply to SD. Srry for that.Do not attempt to reuse the card.
    I suggest that you use Sandisk's own software (downloadable and used with a key which you get with new cards) to recover your fles.
    Sandisk generaly make good cards. I would be perfectly happy to replace a failed Sandisk with another Sandisk. This will get you a key for their recovery software.
    At worst you should lose no more than one image. At best you should recover everything.
    Yes it would. A quick format would make the recovery more difficult since the index table and copies would be overwritten. A full (deep) format would prevent any recovery by reasonably affordable means.

PMurrell likes this.
  11. PMurrell

Thank Learning and all who have replied. I managed to find a SanDisk recovery instructions and will give it a go later today.

12. PMurrell

Just tried the Sandisk process. The software reads all my other CF cards but not the damaged one. Tried different card readers and still the same.

13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Sounds like significant failure of the controller and board, rather than 'just' a logical corruption of the underlying storage. Pretty sure it's dead jim.

14. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I can't offer any advice as other members are clearly more knowledgable than me.
    But, I had a very similar experience a few months back, my usb3 card reader would not read a cf card after several attempts I plugged the USB into a usb2 port....all the images were available.needless to say I quickly transferred the lot onto a USB stick then chucked the corrupt cf card.
    All usb ports seem to be working fine and I've had no issues since???

Hope you manage to sort it

Best of luck

15. PMurrell

Hi Tony,

It has been confirmed the controller and board have failed but there's a guy in Germany who is confident he can retrieve the images. At a cost of course.

16. PMurrell

All images recovered by Recoverfab based in Germany!

Sent CF card on Monday 8th October and today was told all images recovered.

Relieved or what!