1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

DA* for a name is bad for business

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by arthurb, Apr 13, 2007.

1. arthurb

arthurb Well-Known Member

I have had problems with Google, and other search engines, over the years, mainly because of its inflexibility. However, the search engines are here and they are a major influence on business. With that in mind, what bozo at Pentax decided to name their new lenses with the wildcard character as the last character of the name. It is very frustrating to be unable to restrict a search to the new lenses only, and this will become worse in time. Surely this will eventually impact Pentax's business.
    In addition, does anyone know if Sigma and/or Tamron will make all of their new (and fast) lenses available in Pentax-fit? It would certainly make the K10D a more attractive buy. Also, does anyone know if the existing Sigma/Tamron lenses are fully KAF2 compatible, or are they "back-level"?

2. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

You could put DA into the search criteria. Is it any worse that the *istD series as regards a name?

I actually think the use of the star (which has designated superior lenses ever since the M* lenses) was quite clever because it got Pentax being talked about.

The results so far have been pretty impressive, Google or not...

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

So it didn't just mean aster'IST then? (as in asterisk)

4. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

If you search for:

pentax da star

in Google you will get some results, as it seems that a lot of websites are using 'star' precisely because of the problems searching for * in google etc.

;)

I also find it curious that you cannot search for wildcard characters as literals in Google ...

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you type "Pentax DA*" you should have no problems. The " marks are important. I just tried it and the results look OK to me.

6. Alex1994

That brings back everything with Pentax DA, but not specifically Pentax DA* lenses (the * being part of the lens name)! Although they would presumably be in there somewhere.

If you go into the google advanced search page, you can search for an exact phrase - but it still doesn't work for asterisks, with or without any number of quotes!

According to the help sections on Google, you cannot search for wildcard characters as anything other than wildcards.
    Seems strange to me, as most software will allow you to search for things like * by putting it in quotes, using an escape character before it, etc.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, I don't know much about the current Pentax range but my search returned a lot of references to lenses.

Have you tried another search site?

8. Alex1994

I've tried a few, but they seem to be the same (and some of them use google anyway!).
    :rolleyes:

9. arthurb

Hello Alex - thanks for your contributions. You have discovered exactly what I was whingeing about, and appear to be mildy irritated as I am. Some 25 years ago I used search engines that searched on-line docs throughout IBM and the search parameters were much more sophisticated than any internet engine I see now. Ho-hum. But little things like this can annoy buyers in a fiercely competetive market-place, and I really want Pentax to succeed.

In that regard, the mid-price third-party lenses are very, very important for the K10D. So can anyone answer the questions in my original post re. Sigma/Tamron in Pentax fits and complete KAF2 support?

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Arthur,

I dont see any reason why the current (and most of the) Sigma/Tamron lenses shoud have any
    problems working with the K10D. I have a (really) old Tamron/Pentax FA 28-200 lens and it
    works quite well and most problems are usually 'user error' :eek:.

Cheers,

Jack

11. arthurb

Hello Jack,
    I think that I didn't make myself quite clear - nothing new there. I would expect that new Sigma and Tamron lenses that are labelled as "Pentax-fit" will work on the K10D but in my ignorance (I don't have one but have read test reports) I wondered if all functions are supported. I was guessing that the progression from KAF to KAF2 would allow extra functionality; would that be true? If so would the lenses from Sigma/Tamron et al support the K10D as well as the Pentax DA* (eg fast AF, aperture range restriction...)?

Maybe I'm being dumb - if so please be gentle in your reply. I currently still use my old, very old, film SLRs (some Minolta XD7s with a clutch of MD lenses), and while digital is cheap to run, it's damned expensive to get into, and there are many pitfalls it seems (or should that be pratfalls in my case).

Regards,
    Arthur.

12. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I may be totally wrong here, but I think the KAF2 allows one more electrical connection for 'in lens' focus motors instead of the 'in body' mechanical drive to the lens.

13. johnriley1uk

KAF2 originally allowed use of Power Zoom with the appropriate lenses, and now in the K10D will allow use of the in-lens focusing motors.

14. fridge

fridge Well-Known Member

So look out for pentax fit with HSM available. About time they added the quick and quiet af motors to the Pentax range.

Marc

15. arthurb

Hello John - the upshot of the last few posts would seem to be that all KAF mount Sigma/Tamron/whoever lenses will work with the K10D but that those with internal focus and/or ultrasonic motors(?) must be KAF2 compatible. It is confusing to me when the lenses have functionality and so does the camera, but we, the customers, need to be sure that the lenses and camera can communicate the details of their functionality. It would help if the lens makers used terms like "fully KAF2 compatible", so that we could be sure that there would be no feature of the camera, or lens, that would be non-functioning.
    Thanks and regards......

16. johnriley1uk

Life is more complicated than it used to be and although Pentax are pretty good in terms of compatibility, much better than most, progress means there may well be issues.

At this time there are no Pentax-compatible lenses with built in focusing motors, but there will be some Pentax ones very soon. The key will be when you can buy a Pentax fit Sigma or Tamron lens with a built in motor and you will know it is intended for the purpose, otherwise they wouldn't bother putting the motor in!

17. Monobod

The KAF2 mount also supports power zoom facility on the the 20-105 power zoom lens, but not the image size tracking on this lens. I can only use this on the Z1-P film body.

18. arthurb

Yes, the new DA* (that name again) lenses look good, but are, to me, somewhat expensive. I really cannot justify the spending of at least £1300 on 2 lenses for a £600 camera; it's just the truth of my circumstances.

Yes again, life has become more complicated with the fluid and dynamic market created by the move to digital. I spent 30 odd years of my life obsessed by compatibility issues (especially upward-compatibility), and I know it comes at a cost, sometimes a very heavy cost. Unfortunately the customer does not always gain from a fluid and dynamic market. With issues such as we are discussing, most purchasers are ok, but a significant number get "caught" and do not get a good deal. Pentax could help by copyrighting the term "KAF2 Compatible" and then regulating its use. However that would cost money, and slow down the appearance of new lenses; just what Pentax does not want right now.

The new DA* lenses should push things in the right direction (if they sell well), and then I, and others, will have to use these fora and take advice from you and others as to the full function capability.
    Regards.

19. Monobod

When I next buy a lens, it will most likely be the Sigma 17-70 Macro. I now do not have a lens wider than 28mm (42mm on the K10D) and the 17 will give me back the 25.5mm I lack. The macro facility will also be very useful. It would probably become my 'standard lens' for this camera.

Does anyone have this lens, if so are you satisfied with the results?

20. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Yes and yes...

:cool: