1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

D780 has landed

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by AndyTake2, Jan 7, 2020.

1. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

Replying to a previous post, in a similar vein...

Personally I can't see the point of photographing birds - these things should be cooked, and served with a decent sauce, and certainly not photographed.

I use a tripod, belong to Tripods Annoymous and am proud to own three ball-heads.

I was told that I should own as many "L" plates as possible, as this would impress people, and I often equipe my camera (early model Instamatic) with at least two...

The end

ChrisNewman likes this.
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

One on the front and one on the back?

3. IanG1957

No - top and Bottom o_O

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Not a Red L on a White background then?

5. IanG1957

s-l640.jpg Actually over here, it's an A

And I have a LARGE one on my back….

GeoffR likes this.
  6. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I only mount the “L” bracket on my camera when I want to use the tripod, although some of the bespoke brackets for the Z7 are designed to increase the depth of the grip, which might be an advantage with a camera that’s probably smaller than my hand. But once having used an “L” bracket, I think it’s a far superior way of mounting a camera on a tripod than a flat quick-release plate, although a flat plate is ideal for a lens with a rotatable tripod collar.

Certainly, ever-better image stabilization and low light performance makes it ever easier to get good results without a tripod.

Chris

7. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Thanks again for that. My D800 suffers from intermittently losing contact with the lens, and things came to a head just after Christmas when I ordered the fairly recently introduced Nikkor AF-P 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 telephoto from Park Cameras. I went to collect it, but neither I nor the Park Cameras shop assistant could get it to work with my camera, so I’ve postponed the purchase. Long term, I think a switch to a body and at least my principle lens with the larger diameter Z mount with 4 lugs might be the solution. At the time, the Nikon Z7 kit with FTZ adapter and 24-70 f/4 zoom was being discounted very heavily, and seemed very tempting. In addition to avoiding lens-mount problems, I’d appreciate the IBIS, tilting screen, relatively seamless transition between “live view” and viewfinder, and its lighter weight as I get older. But after consideration I’ve opted for a 2nd repair of my D800 mount, so I won’t be changing cameras for a bit. If/when I do, I’ll probably ask on the forum for the latest opinions on “L” brackets, and in any case, Nikon might have replaced the Z7 by then, hopefully with a body with a front-mounted accessory terminal and twin card slots.

Chris

8. IanG1957

Not wishing to hijack the original thread (perhaps a friendly mod could "move" us out to a new "L" plate thread? Please.... I really don't want to be thrown off another forum...) but I agree with @ChrisNewman in the fact that my original purchase of an "L" plate for the Z series was largely to do with the fact my little finger kept "falling off" the bottom of the grip...and the additional height of the plate helped prevent this, and was therefore a lot more comfortable.

In addition, as previously mentioned, I often use a tripod, so it seemed reasonable to attack both situations at once, hence the evolutive purchasing of plates - of ALL the plates I have purchased, the Smallrig is far and away the most expensive - I think I paid 59€ - the others were "made in China" and despite what we might think, are of excellent manufacture.

Ironically, while I never use the D3s for tripod work (reserved for concerts) I purchased an "L" plate for that - this doesn't noticeably increase the weight (it already ways 10kg so a few extra grammes isn't noticed ;)) but it does protect the body to some extent (you're in the fosse, changing cameras because the lead singer has decided to lean out over you and the 20mm is on the other body, so you put the first body on the stage, leaning on the plate, and keep shooting with the second body, hoping the idiot above you doesn't kick it back into the fosse....)

But I digress....

Expo-WIT-3.jpg

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Looking for some other information I came a cross the interesting information that the D7500 doesn't have the option of a grip either.

What, I wonder, is driving this insane removal of the option to fit a grip to Nikon cameras?

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I think you answered your own question - Insanity.:confused:

Adding an interface for these cameras is not rocket science - a ribbon cable to electrical points can't be very expensive, and it is certainly going to use the same system as USB, so the interface is already there.

Utter stupidity. Why on earth would they create reasons for people NOT to buy a camera????

11. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

It's no doubt driven by sales of the preceding models. For example if hardly any grips for the D7100 and D7200 sold, they probably decided it wasn't worth the cost of tooling up for a grip for the D7500. However if it used the same grip as the D7200........

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Why would Nikon design a new body in the D7NNN series that didn't use the same grip as its predecessors? They have a history of producing accessories that fit many different cameras, the MD-D10 fitted the D300 and the D700, but they seem to have rather lost their way in that respect since the D4 was introduced with a different battery from the D2 and D3. I really can't understand the thinking coming out of Tokyo, no control grips for the D7500, D780 or the Z6/7 and a battery grip for the Z series that looks like something made from Lego. Couple that with a seeming obsession with video and one wonders whether they want to keep their loyal customers.

You may however have a point where sales of grips is concerned, if the proportion of customers buying the grip for the D750 and D7200 is small why make the camera more expensive for something few people want. Additionally, the billed ability to use the EN-EL18 battery* in the grip comes at considerable cost; Battery door (BL-5) £40, EN-EL18 £189, MH26 charger £350 and the grip itself at £269 all adding up to £848 on top of the camera at £1129. I can see why not many would take that route. A different matter for a professional who already has a D4 and need only buy the grip and BL-5.

*Assuming that the EN-EL18 can actually be used in the grip.

Nikon seem to get many things right then drop the ball on the details.

13. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

^
    The grips for the D7000 and D7100 are different and non-interchangeable. I can'[t remember if the D7100 grip also fits the D7200 but it does seem insane and not environmentally friendly to require each new camera to have a unique grip. I believe that the Olympus EM1 grip fits the Mk I, Mk II and new Mk III - which seems a much better route to take

14. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I have an old D90 which takes the same grip as its predecessor, the D80.

My last three Nikons all take versions of the EN-EL15 battery, which is quite handy, and originals are not that expensive compared to those highlighted above by Geoff. FYI, they are a V1, D750 and a Z6. One incompatibility with the V1, apart from the lens mount, is that it doesn't have a standard hot shoe for flash.

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, it's standard (to use the word loosely) for the Nikon 1 series. And you can buy (if you search about a bit) an adaptor - AS-N1000?

16. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I bought a 1 series flash in the end, the SB-N7.

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Me too, for the V2. And an SB-N5 for the V1 - well, it's shaped to fit and they turn up now and again at MPB and other places.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Actually, it isn't because the 1J5 doesn't take any form of external flash but those of the 1 series that do use the same adaptor.

As I have said previously I have travelled with cameras and I want to carry as few chargers and adaptors as possible because they are bulky. As it happens I can cope with just one charger a MH-26a which is suitable for both EN-EL18 and EN-EL4 batteries which fit my D4 bodies and my wife's D300 bodies (with grips). I can't understand the reasoning behind the switch from EN-EL4 to EN-EL18 the only discernible difference is the positioning of the contacts, they can both use the same charger. Strange to think that one reason for chosing Nikon over Canon was batteries, the F4 used AA cells and the EOS1 used Lithium cells which, at the time were expensive and difficult to find.

19. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

One issue is people object to the price of grips.
    The D700 grip was a reasonable price, but because of the D3 comparison, where everyone went for the 700 and grip, Nikon upped the price of the grips.
    The increase is likely to account for less sales, so Nikon marketeers can now say nobody wants them.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I can see your point but not quite everyone went for D700 plus grip, I still have a D3. The price of grips is out of proportion though, despite the differences in shape, to match the bodies, I suspect that internally the isn’t much difference.

I have only recently bought a second D4 so it will be some time before I have any interest in a new camera but I won't be buying one that doesn't have either a built in grip or the option to add one. The D7500 would never have been a candidate and the D780 likewise, because of the lack of a grip, that doesn't really leave much from Nikon. The D500 has a grip but all my lenses are FX, the D850 has a grip but I don't think I need 48MP and the D5/6 are still far too expensive. Doesn't leave me many options does it?