1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D780 has landed

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by AndyTake2, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

The D780 list price is the same as the Z6 at launch.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

and far more mechanically complicated.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

In 1996 the launch price of the F5 was £2,300 which illustrates how much of a bargain a modern DSLR actually represents. However, the differential between the D780 and the D850 strongly undermines the sales prospects of the former except where the prospective purchaser specifically wants the characteristics of the D780.

I suspect many people will be making the comparison and seeing the D850 as the better long term buy, we shall see.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

.... unless a D850 replacement is also due soon, in which case no doubt it too will have a heavy increase in price from the D850

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Possibly, but that makes the D850 even more of a bargain.

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I don't call £2500 for a camera a "bargain" !!

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Compare what you get for £2,500 at 2020 values with what you got for £2,300 (F5) in 1996 and it is great value for money

8. Learning

You seem to have no idea of he costs of the technology involved. I suppose that you consider £1469 too much for a new D500 to be also somewhat less than a bargain.
    Its machines like this that allow idiots like me make photographs. The D850 is a brilliant camera although not quite what I want. I prefer two D500 to one D850. Either way presently we are not being ripped off.

9. John King

John King Well-Known Member

What is so important with a vertical grip? In close to 60 years using a camera I have never found the need for one. Extra weight. Extra bulk. Especially when the upper end cameras are so heavy now

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Strangely, some of us find that extra bulk makes the camera much, much, more comfortable to use. The bigger battery lasts a lot longer (I did a, very cold, week in NY on two EN-EL18*s) and having an extra shutter release means the camera handling is near identical in either orientation. The balance with a long lens is also much better. However, for me the most important factor is that I don't have a finger hanging off the bottom of the camera, something that really irritates me. That is also why I keep saying that modern cameras, particularly mirrorless, are too small.

We all have different ideas as to what is comfortable to hold but for me anything too small causes problems. At least with a camera like the D750 the grip is optional so if you don't want it you don't have to buy it.

*I carried a D4 which has an integral grip but if I want greater resolution I have to move away from the top end cameras as even the D5 (too expensive) is only 20MP. Currently 24MP would be ideal and a camera without a built-in flash is attractive but without the option of a grip, I'll have to wait for the D850 prices to come down.

11. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

As above - the option of a vertical grip makes a huge difference in the balance of a camera.
    When using heavier lenses, the extra mass balances things more evenly, and having somewhere to grip without having to worry about where the little finger is going helps a lot. Just as important, when shooting in portrait mode it is really useful to have that release. The default position for the release on a camera is top right, but that is in landscape mode. Switch to portrait and it prevents having to either stick the elbow out to the side, or put the hand in a weird position to tuck it in.

The main gripe with the 780 is that it is NOT AN OPTION. Every other pro level camera has had one - from the D300 and D700 forwards. It isn't compulsory to have one - and many didn't bother, but if a vertical grip isn't important to pros - why is it built into the D3/4/5/6?
    Just Nikon trying to protect sales of the single digit cameras.

Don't get me wrong - small cameras can be a good idea, but even using the Olympus OM10q I preferred the motor-drive attached a lot of the time. Not for the speed, just because it is a far better ergonomic fit. I think we all need an extra joint in the wrists in order to use portrait mode ergonomically :D

12. Learning