1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D780 has landed

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by AndyTake2, Jan 7, 2020.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

2. Loofah

Loofah Member

Like the idea of group area AF! Has Nikon used this on previous models too?

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

More information here https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/nikon-shows-off-d780-120-300mm-zoom-z-70-200mm-zoom-and-p950-at-ces-2020?utm_medium=Email 1779060&utm_campaign=NewAnnouncement&utm_source=Nikon 200106&utm_content=Retail&utm_term=nikon-d780-readmore&encEmail=38313733353341314245313242464132443738463431373635343743364541453636434535363242304434354331424436344630334337303344354438383036#D780

Looks like it is without a built-in flash, great from my point of view, but if there is no grip I won't be interested as it will be too small. I would like a smaller camera to travel with, and the D780 looks ideal in many respects, but it needs a grip.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  4. AndyTake2

They do like shooting themselves in the foot don't they?

5. AndyTake2

Yes, there appears to be a few that have it - haven't used it on anything myself, but it would be useful. However, severe lack of funds means I won't be trying it out any time soon.:confused:

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Seems it is becoming a speciality!

7. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I really wouldn't believe that. It would be the first high end FX body to not have an available grip, they'd be missing out on a sales for a sought after accessory and it's not as though Nikon would be looking to avoid cannibalising sales from the D6 with this camera. Just because there isn't a grip available now, doesn't mean that there won't be in the future.

8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

The price.... almost the same in pounds as in US Dollars, and not much cheaper than the D850. If I had the money to buy, I'd pay the little extra for the D850. It really ought to be priced at under £2000

9. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

According to reports it doesn't have the electrical contacts for connecting a vertical grip that are present on other Nikon cameras which can use a grip.
    Of course they can always make a grip that connects through the battery compartment, but that seems like an awkward solution when they already have a system that doesn't require removing the battery compartment door and battery.
    Also the Z6/7 lack the electrical contacts and only have a battery pack available, but not a vertical grip.

10. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Which would limit it to only able to attach dumb grips, not no grip at all.

If true, it's shortsighted by Nikon, though there might be valid reasons eg in terms of size restrictions with the added requirements for processor cooling that video brings.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I agree, the D750 can be found, new, for under £1000 and the D850 can be bought for just £200 more than the D780 launch price. I accept that not everybody wants the resolution of the D850 but for a £200 premium over the D780 I think I could cope.

It seems that the D780 is the SLR equivalent of the Z6 and the D850 that of the Z7. I can't help wondering why Nikon are doing so much to put existing customers off their cameras. The Z series has a battery grip but no option for a control grip, the D780 has no provision for either and is too expensive in relation to the D850. Where is this going?

12. AndyTake2

DP Reviews confirms that there are no electronic connectors for a vertical grip:
    https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d780-review/3

The heat dissipation would be the only thing I could possibly accept as an excuse for no such possibility, although I'm sure I read of a camera recently that had a bit of extra space added to allow such heat dissipation (it's the morning, my head doesn't work, so I can't remember details).
    As for pricing, the starting RRP seems roughly in line with what I would expect (I paid about £1500 for a D700 many moons ago) and would expect it to drop.

I still cannot understand the system though. Nikon clearly state it to be a pro camera, but it is clearly designed for video, with a few extras thrown in for stills. This means that there will be the D6 for fast sports and machine-gun press photographers, the D850 for high-res landscapes or studio portrait, the D780 for video, and bugger all for those of us who would do various genres.

Edit........it may well be that the cooling system I saw is in some of the latest phones, which are using vapour chambers.

Editty edit......https://kolarivision.com/nikon-z6-disassembly-teardown/
    Shows little heat sinking in the z6, which has the same video capabilities so cooling doesn't really represent any real reason

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  13. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

That makes no sense whatsoever.

14. AndyTake2

Not sure what you mean there.
    It basically boils down to the pixels vs sensitivity thing, as shown in the Z6 Z7 pairing.
    The Z6 and D780 have, I suspect, the same sensor, but the extra space a dSLR has could easily accommodate the electronics for the vertical grip.
    There will be nothing in the FX lineup of dSLRs which would be attractive to those who want the low light abilities of the Z6 but the usual abilities of a pro SLR without forking out a fortune for the D6.

If you are confused about who these are, just refer back to the D3 D700, which really started Nikon FX paranoia

15. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

I was hoping for a pro mode button, round eye-piece and other similar layout to the D800. It would be a jump up from my D700 resolution wise (and quieter shutter I'm sure) but I won't part with £2.5k. Simply because I don't have it.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Personally, I would rather buy a used D800 or D810 for around half the price or a D850 for a bit more, they all use the same DK17 eyepiece as my D2/D3/D4 bodies and have a similar control layout, plus they take a grip

17. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Makes sense. But do I need 36mp?

18. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

The Z6 with F-mount lens adapter and 24-70 can currently be bought for under £1800 yet the D780 is around £2200 body only, so if it is to be an "alternative" to the Z6 it is way over-priced at the moment. I don't think that the price of the D850, Z6 or for that matter the D500 have fallen very much since their respective launches, so I wonder what will happen to the D780's price over the coming months?

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It seems that Nikon have provided a worthy successor to the D750. They have omitted enough goodies to suggest that there might be a final successor to the D850.

20. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

No, that still makes no sense.