1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

D7500 vs D7100

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Tom murrells, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Tom murrells

Tom murrells New Member

Hi, I have owned a D7100 for about four years and am still pleased with the results I get but wondered if it is time to get a newer model. If I bought one I would aim for the D7500. The difference is small between the two what do people think? I’m not one to spend for the sake of having the newest. Thanks

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I think you've answered your own question.
    My take on it is, if you can afford it, and you want it, then buy it. If you are buying it to improve your images, then leave it on the shelf as you already have a camera which is very capable.

ChrisNewman and EightBitTony like this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd say the same. Of course it's good thing generally for people to buy new cameras. I'm more of the wear 'em out school but I tend to keep two camera bodies, it is easier than swapping lenses if you are covering an event and you have always got a spare.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Beware of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) which is the desire to buy another/new bit of kit regardless of whether you need it - it can have dire consequences for your bank balance...;):D

If you are still pleased with the results and the D7500 offers but marginal improvements then I suggest sticking with the D7100 until such times as you can positively identify an area in which it is lacking compared to a later/higher spec model. In the early days of digital models changes were often clear upgrades although even then it was usually best to only upgrade every other model to get the most economic benefit. These days specification changes or improvements are much less radical and the need to upgrade is more emotional than logical...

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

'I’m not one to spend for the sake of having the newest.'

Welcome the sensible club... if you've got lots of money burning a hole in your pocket, consider spending it on lenses, or travelling to wonderful places where you can use your current camera. For example, I went to Venice twice in November, which was in the 'low season' for hotel rates. Both times, mid-morning to late-afternoon was mild and dry, the place was much less busy than the summer season, and the art galleries were quiet too. I know it's not been like that recently, but I would still risk it if I had the funds.

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I would aim for a D500 rather than a D7500 TBH. I don't think the 7500 is a big enough step forward from the 7100