1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

D7500 light leak on Live View

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Kicking_up_Dust, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Kicking_up_Dust

Kicking_up_Dust New Member

Am I right in saying that if I use live view for long exposure on my D7500 i don't need to cover the viewfinder?

Or do I still need to cover it?

Thanks

K

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The reason for covering the viewfinder on a DSLR when using a tripod is that the normal metering uses the light hitting the mirror. Normally your face blocks light coming from the viewfinder, remove the face and you increase light going into the camera, particularly if the sun is behind you. During liveview the mirror is raised and metering is direct from the sensor. The viewfinder is blocked.

Kicking_up_Dust and beatnik69 like this.
  3. Kicking_up_Dust

Thank you so i don't need to cover the viewfinder?

K

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Cover the view finder. If you had been a bit more up market then you still could not ignore the issue but just enable a blind that does not get lost. Your last post again suggests the desirability of a not like button. Not being nasty, just helpful.
    Edit . Oops. Just noticed that you are a new member. Still cover the viewfinder for long exposure shots.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Correct, in live view there is no possibility of light from the finder eye piece finding its way to the metering sensor.

Kicking_up_Dust likes this.
  6. Kicking_up_Dust

Sorry, I am confused by this post.

Up market??

Not like button?

7. Kicking_up_Dust

Thanks everyone for clarifying this.

K

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Going up market meant D500 rather than D7500. The D500 has a lever to operate an eyepiece blind so you don't need a loosable cover.
    The not like button would indicate a disagreement . You wrote
    Actually you do need to cover he viewfinder.
    I am rather over direct by nature and this comes across as being unfriendly. Regulars know this and make allowances I think.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nikon do say that you should cover the eyepiece but the sensor in the finder is only used for centre weighted metering, in spot or matrix metering the eyepiece cover makes no difference. These modes use the sensors in the bottom of the mirror box.

Kicking_up_Dust likes this.