1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D70s anyone?

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by BigWill, May 26, 2005.

1. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Just noticed that nikon seem to have slipped in an upgraded version of the D70................the D70 "s". I see it is now capable of taking a battery pack and has a few other tweaked features. Any of you Nikon lot have any thoughts on it?

Jessops D70s

BigWill

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Actually, Nikon don't make a battery pack (by which I presume you mean a booster pack/vertical grip) - that fooled me too. The battery pack is just a holder that goes into the usual space to take a different kind of cell. On the other hand, an American company do produce an add-on grip for the D70; which I presume will fit the D70s as well.

Simon Stafford had this to say in answer to a "should I upgrade" query at NOCI

It depends whether you consider the slightly larger 2" monitor screen (the D70 screen is 1.8") and ability to use the 1m (3.25ft) long MC-DC1 electric cable release (the only remote shutter release option on the D70 is the ML-L3, or ML-L1 infrared release) are worth the expense, because once you have installed the new firmware upgrade to the D70 (available for free download from any of the Nikon technical support web sites) these are the only differences between the two models, essentially.

3. BigWill

Should have checked that Tim as it fooled me as well. A missed opportunity I think as many photographers (myself included) actually LIKE the added size a battery pack/vertical grip offers!

Doesn't seem to offer any significant advantages to a firmware updated D70 then................best to save your pennies methinks! [​IMG]

BigWill

4. W1lko

W1lko Well-Known Member

I might have bought one, but I've lost all interest in photography just recently.
    I recently took an F5, 2 lenses and 8 rolls of film on holiday with me to Spain and never fired a single shot. I never even took the camera out of my rucksack.

5. BigWill

Wilko, you want to go digital me old mate. It may well be the "shot in the arm" that your photography needs! Why not give it a try? It worked for me!

BigWill

6. 0

0 Guest

Careful, Wilko, Will's after your F5!

7. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Well at least this thread (TimF's post) seems to have established that it isn't really worth buying the D70 's'
    So a D70 body at about £589 might be on the cards - anyone know the best place to buy?
    Afterthought - 7dayshop are offering it at £679 with a 18-70 AFS DX. Presumably Nikon's £100 cashback offer up to June 19th can be deducted from this too. If so, cheap as chips, I can feel a hole burning in my pocket.
    On a different tack, I have to say, as I've not been around for a while, that I do rather like this new look website

8. BillyBumbler

BillyBumbler Active Member

I bought my D70 recently - with the 18-70mm - and I'm VERY happy with it. Just don't mention the terms "CCD" and "Dust" in the same sentence in my prescence! [​IMG]

Great camera! And really no need for the added "s" with the firmware upgrade.

9. lenskid

lenskid Member

Hi, I'm new to this site today,but I have just installed the firmware into my D70 and have noticed that the RAW capacity seems to have doubled! Have I screwed something up or is this standard?

10. TimF

Don't think you have screwed up. The D70s has a larger buffer than the older model, and AFAIK the firmware upgrade pretty much gives you what the new camera has - in software terms anyway. It won't grow your LCD by 2cm!! ;)

Welcome to the forum by the way.

11. lenskid

lenskid Member

Thanks for that Tim, This means I will have to take twice as many piccies now!!

Steve.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Forgive me if I am nit picking but the D70s has a 2 inch monitor and the D70 a 1.8 inch monitor. That is 2/10 of an inch or 5mm. If you grew the monitor by 2cm you would have, near enought, the 2.5 inch screen of the D2. Also, if you change the firmware you will not affect the size of the buffer as this is hardware dependant (Normally).

What you will get with upgraded firmware is the faster AF and any improvements in metering etc. but NOT the hardware changes.

13. TimF

Whoops! That should read 0.2 inches - just a slight difference. :)

14. lenskid

lenskid Member

OK, if it's not buffer, can anyone explain why I have twice the RAW capacity than before? I have reformatted the card (in camera) but it still comes up with twice the capacity (not that I'm complaining, I'm just interested!)
    Steve.

15. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

What sized card are we talking about, and what capacity is the camera saying? Are we talking NEFs or Compressed NEFs? And are we talking about the camera's advance estimate of the number of frames you can fit on the card, or the actual number you get in practice?

16. lenskid

lenskid Member

This in regard to a 512m card. Previous estimates were about 47 images and is now 88. I didn't realise there were compressed and uncompressed NEF files. I thought NEF (RAW) files were as uncompressed as they come.
    Steve. :D

17. Bazzac

Bazzac Well-Known Member

The D70 RAW is a compressed file. When the D100 came out it allowed you to shoot RAW but the file was 10Mb. You could also save the image as a compressed RAW (if you had time - took an age to process and compress). Because of this, the display indicated the MINIMUM number of RAW images that could be saved, ie, if they were all 10Mb. If you saved all the images as compressed RAW then, because the compression algorithm made them around 5Mb, you could save twice as many than the display indicated.

All RAW images on a D70 are compressed (similar algorithm but the process is incredibly quicker than the D100) but are around 5Mb still. The display on the earlier firmware versions [prior to V2.0) worked the same as the D100, assuming the full 10Mb file size.

Version 2.0 firmware fixed this so the display now indicates the real number of frames remaining based upon the compressed, 5Mb file size. So, it seems twice as many as you had before!

It made sense when I typed this!

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me.

19. lenskid

lenskid Member

It kinda makes sense to me, I think.
    Thanks for the info.
    Steve. ;)

20. MickMcQ

MickMcQ New Member

I see that you have posted a link to Jessops website so this info might be of use. DO NOT pay the advertised price, Jessops will price match, I bought the D70s with the 18-70 lens last Saturday 2 July for £744. Ask and you shall receive!