1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest,

Nature photography is hugely popular, and there is always something more to learn. We've got the best photographers in this fascinating genre to share their tips and advice on the gear and techniques needed for stand-out shots, and inspire us with their wonderful images.

Whether you’re a beginner or intermediate photographer, and whether you're into flowers, insects or animals, you'll learn something new in this issue of 'Improve Your Photography' – and come away with your creative batteries fully charged.

Simply enter your details to receive your downloadable copy of 'Improve Your Photography – Nature'.

3. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Dismiss Notice

D7000 kit lense issues.

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Ryan Foulkes, Jun 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Ryan Foulkes

Ryan Foulkes Member

I've got a quick question for you, when i try to use the Nikon AF-P 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G DX lense that arrived today with my D7000,it wont let me change the aperture at all, also it doesn't focus at all, in any modes or manual or auto focus, it wont take a picture in any mode. It comes up with an r09, r016, r028 message and so on. If i use the Tamron 70-300mm lense i also had today it works perfectly! Just wondering if any of you know anything about it? Thanks in advance.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Three error codes is impressive but google says rxx means you have the buffer capacity for xx shots. It isn’t an error code. Check the camera manual. Be sure you haven’t got the camera on auto- I once had 15 mins of panic on my Canon 5D because half the controls vanished off of the top plate and I couldn’t set aperture, iso or anything. It was because the mode dial got bumped to full auto when I took the camera out of the bag.

Check if the lens has a manual focus selector. Canon ones do - if it is set to M then it won’t AF.

The other cause of non-focus is if the user disables AF on the shutter release. Sounds unlikely in your case but beware of playing with back-button focus lest you forget you’ve set it.

Once you’ve been three times through the obvious it begins to look as if the lens has a fault.

3. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

If it is this lens https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/produ...af-p-dx-nikkor-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6g-vr#overview then as far as I can work out it is not compatible with the D7000, only with selected newer cameras (which may require a firmware update).

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

5. PeteRob

It never occurred to me that an 18-55 lens could be incompatible with a digital body. it is a stock kit lens.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If it is the lens mentioned, Nikon AF-P 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G DX, it is a stepper motor lens and thus there is no mechanical connection between the focus ring and the focusing mechanism. Instead an encoder sends pulses to the camera which, in turn, sends pulses to the lens's internal focusing motor to drive the mechanism. The D7000 is not compatible with AF-P DX lenses hence it won't focus.

If the lens and camera body were bought together you may have to return both for a refund, if not you can just return the lens. Either way you are protected. A good seller will offer to swap the lens you have for one that is compatible with the D7000.

Ryan Foulkes likes this.
  7. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

why were my links to cures and info gone

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

More or less right.
    Ryan. The lens supplied might have been supplied in error. Its value is greater than the one that should have been supplied. Maybe the supplier just chucked in a standard lens. They got it wrong. We have no way of knowing if they were careless, deceitful, or simply ignorant. I suggest that you start with an open mind and approach them in an unaggressive manner. Be prepared to ramp it up if necessary.
    Edit. Please will a mod deal with the offending 'e' in the title. It is quite irritating and possibly embarrassing to Ryan.

Ryan Foulkes likes this.
  9. Ryan Foulkes

Ryan Foulkes Member

Thanks for the reply, MBP are sending out a courier in the next couple of days and will refund me the money. So its win win! Do any of you have any recommendations for a decent day to day lens for the D7000? Thanks again all for your help

10. PeteRob

That’s excellent news. I’ve no idea at all about what Nikon lenses are available but for a x1.5 crop factor camera (and to my mind) 16-80 is a good all round zoom. It will be my next Fuji X lens.

11. Learning

The 18-55 that should have been supplied is not bad. Nikon standard zooms have never been bad. However if you go slightly up market there is the 16-85. Avoid the newer 16-80; it may not work.
    https://dslrbodies.com/lenses/nikon...-lens-reviews/nikon-16-85mm-f35-56g-lens.html
    I used to have one of these and traded it in when I mostly used D500. Sadly the new 16-80 does not work on my old D200. This old workhorse still has its uses.I use it with lenses from my film days. I regret selling the 16-85.
    MPB are well regarded. I expect that they might be a little embarrassed at their slight 'cockup' as it is technically known. They should do you right. I hope that someone there is following this thread.

12. PeteRob

I dunno how Nikon manage to sell cameras / lenses. It’s just ridiculous.

13. Learning

Ryan Foulkes likes this.
  14. Learning

Their engineering is much better than their marketing. As technology progressed they try to maintain back compatibility. They do try but do not always succeed. Canon did not even try. In one second EOS made everything from before obsolete.

15. PeteRob

Yup and going forward it all works. I can use all my lenses on my EOS 50E film camera should I so wish.

16. Learning

You are a youngster and have none of the older stuff.

17. PeteRob

True (ish) and true but so what?

18. Ryan Foulkes

Ryan Foulkes Member

19. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Late to this thread but I've a D7000 I got new some years back when I traded my old D80 in against it. The AF-P lenses won't work with the D7000. 16-85VR is great improvement over the AF-S 18-55 lens in either VR or non-VR form. The "normal" kit lens when the D7000 was new was the 18-105VR which is good although many grumble at its plastic mount. My personal preference is Sigma's 17-70 OS HSM but you have to be wary with Sigma as some of their older lenses need a firmware update to auto-focus with newer Nikon bodies, and this has to be done by taking or sending the lens to Sigma UK in Welwyn Garden City. Another option for an upgraded lens is the newer Nikon 18-140VR which gives a much greater zoom range but it's a slower lens, bigger/bulkier than the 16-85VR etc etc. Whatever you decide on, go out, take plenty of photos and have fun

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It is no more ridiculous than needing new versions of applications to work with updated operating systems, car manufacturers switching from positive earth to negative or a different grip for a newly released camera in a model line.

Personally, I think the AF-P is a blind alley but it probably makes lenses cheaper to construct and in an industry with a shrinking market where that may be important for survival. Nikon's backward compatibility now only goes to the 1970s (AI) because Pre-AI lenses can't be used with any current body. AF-P lenses are useless on anything earlier than 2016. They are, apparently, designed for, surprise surprise, Video.