1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

D6 has arrived...sort of D5ish

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by AndyTake2, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I frequently post pictures that I took a few minutes before.

RogerMac and IanG1957 like this.
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The difference is between Need and Want. I suggest that you won't go hungry if you have to wait an extra minute to post.

3. Andrew Flannigan

No one is claiming otherwise so what made you come up with that irrelevance?

IanG1957 likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Andrew, why did you criticise the original comment?
    Because you didn't agree with the "most of us" I think. You, specifically do not NEED to get JPEGs out of a camera quickly, your life and livelihood do not depend on it. Therefore, the comment "not something that most of us require" is I suggest accurate.

5. Andrew Flannigan

You are free to believe anything you wish. I am free to hold different views. What is it that you don't undestand about that?

IanG1957 likes this.
  6. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I don't require it

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

There is an opinion of the D6 from a pro user here.

Granted it is the IAmNikon blog, but it may be of interest.

ETA: Oops, just noticed that Learning posted a link to that some time ago. Oh well, I don't visit IAmNikon that often...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  8. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

I won't be changing my 4s any time soon

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The price difference between D5 and D6 is, according to the Nikon Web Shop, just £300! As I paid considerably less than 1/2 the new price of a D5 for my pair of D4 bodies I won't be changing soon either.

10. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

There is NOTHING, 100% NOT^HING that I could not do with a D4S that I want to do that a D5/6 would offer me and I shoot for a living.

IanG1957 likes this.
  11. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more - although of course, it does go against the grain a bit to actually 'agree' with someone - must be the Covid19 effect….;)

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Of course there is always the possibility, no matter how slight, that someone else may want to do something you don't and, due to your D4S, couldn't if you wanted to...:eek:

;)

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I note your comment "that I want to do". There are things that I want to do that the D5 and D6 offer but I don't want to do them so much that I'll part with £6,299 to get there.

I can think of a couple of possibilities; the D6 focusing points are distributed across a wider area of the frame than those of the D4/D4s so wider focus tracking. Secondly there are an extra 4,000,000 pixels which might be useful if you need to crop to achieve the desired result.
    The Bluetooth capability might come in handy too.

Of course, I don't get paid to shoot my photographs, and I have achieved what I wanted with far lesser tools than the D4, but knowing that the camera isn't the reason for my failures is reassuring.

Probably also worth noting that Nikon obviously think there are plenty of things that photographers want to do that they can't do with a D4 but they can do with a D5 or D6 otherwise they wouldn't have made them.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am sure that the D6 is the ultimate DSLR for its intended purchasers. I certainly will not criticise it because it isn't quite what I want. It wasn't intended for me.
    I don't expect to see an updated D500, but maybe an updated D850. Would I buy an updated D850? I don't know. Logically the brace of D500 that I own do everything that I want. But there is always a but. There are a few times when I have gone to the wide end of my 200-500 and wished I could have gone further. A D850 would have solved that. Some of the mirror less features of the D7 would be nice. An updated D850 might give that. Would I exchange one of the D500 for an updated D850? maybe. Would I exchange both D500 for a brace of updated D850? No. That would be ridiculously expensive.
    For the moment I only know that the D6 is likely to be the last best sports/journalism DSLR ever and that I am not a sports/journalist photographer.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The D6 seems to be following in the footsteps of the F6, it isn't a major upgrade from its predecessor in most respects but it brings things up to date and fills the gap for a while (16 years in the case of the F6). I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see a mirrorless equivalent of the D6 in the near future with the D6 remaining available.

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I meant Z7 of course.