1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D6 has arrived...sort of D5ish

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by AndyTake2, Feb 12, 2020 at 8:44 AM.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Its slightly interesting to see what they have done and what might be transferred to a D850 update should they deign to make one. I am not in the target group for the D6 and do not know what that group thinks of it. I will never buy a D5 or D6. If someone gave me one then I would immediately trade it in.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I was hoping for a higher pixel count, say 24 MP. The changes, as far as I can see, wouldn't be enough to make me trade a D5 for a D6 (if I had a D5). It seems to me that the D6 is more of a D5s than anything it certainly doesn't move the goal posts. However if I were given one I would make good use of it though of the two I would prefer a D5.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

But do the people who use these cameras want more pixels? Moving pixels across comms links costs time. 20Mp jpegs that leave the camera without need of editing are the goal. Some of these users will have somewhat battered D5s (that's D5 plural) with huge shutter counts and are coming up to 4 years old. They are ready for replacement.
    The new AF module may be a significant improvement and Nikon may want to spread the development cost with a D850 replacement. Such a camera could also have an improved live view and video AF by using the existing sensor from the Z7.

5. AndyTake2

I think Learning has hit the nail on the head here - this is for sports and photojournalism.
    Huge pixel counts are pretty useless if they are to go in a newspaper or on the web, and keeping the pixies down means better light-gathering.
    One of the main features is that it is possible to record 2 jpegs at once, one high quality, one low. The low can then be prioritised to be sent straight to wherever it is needed (news outlet etc) whilst the other can reside on the camera for post-processing.

Something else I have noticed whilst having a quick look at the camera at WEX, is that WEX are now listing fewer Nikon models - hopefully Nikon will have learned that having loads of similar models is bloody pointless.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I don't think 24MP is a "huge pixel count" and it is incrementally larger than the D5 by a very modest amount. Additionally the extra pixels might be expected to give picture editors more freedom to crop images. One has to hope that Nikon have done their homework and concluded the 20MP is enough.

My problem with the D6 is that it is aimed at a narrower market sector than any of its predecessors and thus needs to be exceptionally good to attract customers. The changes from the D5 appear to me to narrow its appeal rather than broaden it. I hope it is a success but at first glance the EOS 1DX iii seems to have the edge.

7. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

Personally I can't see the "improvements" warrant the 1000$ difference in price. However, if they had included IBIS, this would have been a different story (IMHO)

8. AndyTake2

900 second exposure? Need a damn great ND grad for that one:D

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I can certainly agree with that.
    Not sure where that would be useful, a candle in in a coal mine perhaps.

10. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has a long exposure seascape called "900 Seconds of Time". I forget how many photos I managed to take in the time that he shot that one. :D

11. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

Over-qualifications always amuse me...brings to mind Maggie Reilly singing "4am in the Morning…" (Moonlight Shadow by Mike Oldfield) as if 4am could be at any other time.

900 seconds of distance? Temperature?

But I digress….

12. AndyTake2

Well digressing even further - it could be an angle:p

beatnik69 likes this.