1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Does CS4 process DNG files? The Adobe Raw converter (any RAW file to DNG) is free. I used it for a short while after I bought an unsupported camera. I couldn't see any particular difference in image quality using the DNG file rather than the native RAW but I got fed up having to make a copy of everything so in the end I updated my software.

2. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I didn`t think of that Pete.It`s certainly worth trying so I`ll maybe download it and try.

Thanks for the suggestion,I appreciate the thought.

3. swanseadave

In the light of yesterday`s discussion I have downloaded DNG convertor but the problem remains.
    I still have raw files to process but no raw converter.
    I`ve just realised that I have the Nik collection embedded in CS4 on the old C drive!
    Now if I want to use it I have to pay £130 to DXO for the privilege.:(

4. PeteRob

Sorry it didn't work. CS4 must pre-date DNG files!

5. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

If you're able to convert your raws to DNGs, does the software that came with your camera allow you to process and edit them and save as JPEG, Tiff or PSD? I know with my own Pentax DSLRs there's the option to shoot raws in either DNG or Pentax PEF. The supplied software on a disc is in 2 parts: Photo Browser, for organising and viewing pictures, and Photo Lab which is a raw converter. My only other DSLR is a Samsung which only shoots raws as DNGs: the software on the disc with the camera is Digimax Raw Converter. If your camera came with something similar it should be able to handle your DNGs.

6. swanseadave

Unfortunately the camera was used from Ffordes in Inverness and the software disc was not included.

Everything I try to get ACR installed fails.I`ll do a search of the Sony site but after all the let downs I`m not hopeful.

Thanks for trying to help Martin,it is appreciated.

7. PeteRob

I only know Canon but they support all their all cameras with downloadable software that came on the original disks. They even started providing disk images since some computers no longer come with a DVD/CD reader - like my 2012 iMac. All they insist on is a valid serial number to approve the download.

There are free raw converters that can make TIFFs or JPGs but, like DNG, it is another layer of hassle having to make more files to be able to edit.

You'll probably be pleased with the latest version of PS. I'm only guessing but It probably works much the same way as CS4.

8. swanseadave

Pete,the software that would have come with the camera when new has recently been changed and given a new name,Imaging edge.
    I forget the name of the former one and it too is installed on the old C drive,not retrievable since Win 8.1 is also on it.

I have Imaging edge newly installed in Win10.I`ve tried it out and,though not as comprehensive as ACR,does the job of conversion.
    The saved tiffs can then be imported into CS4,so it`s a workaround to keep me going.
    Ultimately I`d like to have ACR back because I`m used to it but it`s not looking good.

Many thanks for your interest and help Pete. all the best,Dave

9. swanseadave

On another forum someone from Ottawa has sent me four iso files taken directly from a Photoshop CS4 disk
    presumably with ACR on them.

I`m completely out of my depth here.I have no idea what is actually on them and nor how to find
    out nor any idea how to deal with them!I`d ask my son but he`s up to the eyes with work for the masters degree course
    he`s undertaken.

I`ll have to put the whole project on hold for the time being.

10. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I get the impression that Adobe would rather like you to upgrade to a more recent product.